DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 10-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default color inspiration

I have been thinking a lot about Vermeer lately, and at the same time trying to come up with a color scheme for a web site. So I decided to try to put the two thoughts together.

Decided to go looking for Vermeer images on the web. Many of the Vermeers are in poor shape, and so are the photos of them. But this is for the web, where color is whatever you can approximate, right? So I found a very nice site, Paintings of Vermeer, with large images of many of the paintings.

Mainly so I can see how these look (as they do not exactly hang together at this point), I am attaching a GIF of my samplings. (Hmmm. How bizarre. They were on a transparent background in the .ai file, and I saved the image as a .gif. Where did the black borders come from, I wonder. Some new feature of Illustrator CS2? Have to see if I can fix that later.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vermeer_colors.gif
Views:	176
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	236  

Old 10-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
Michael Rowley

KT:

Where did the black borders come from

They're not visible in the enlarged thumbnail.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Vermeer is very in vogue in the UK - with anyone who in anyone sedning thank you / get well cards with his pics on them
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
dthomsen8

Curious. I don't quite know how you got the color squares you have in your message, or what they do for you in getting to a web site color design.

I will be quite interested to see the result, though.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
They're not visible in the enlarged thumbnail.
How profoundly weird!

I will never understand computers. Never!

Old 10-14-2005, 10:43 PM   #6
Ian Petersen
Staff

That's a nice palette - very autumnal - and a nice way to get it. I do a similar thing sometimes by simply taking a picture, or section of one, with a nice colour scheme and reducing it in Photoshop to a few pixels in size. Instant palette! Come to think of it, I'm sure I've seen a plugin or script that could do similar.

I can't remember if this has been posted here before but there's a simple palette generator at http://colormatch.dk/ and many similar around the web. There's one built into the ubiquitous TopStyle too. Vermeer is prettier though!

Old 10-15-2005, 01:25 AM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
Curious. I don't quite know how you got the colour squares you have in your message, or what they do for you in getting to a web site colour design.
David, it is relatively easy to pick colours off a displayed image using, for example, Paint Shop Pro or the ColorZilla extension for Firefox (although there may be conflicts when using this extension on FF1.0.7.) I use a simple utility program called SLUGS (Windows only) which has a colour picker and then generates a colour wheel based on the picked colour. I find that this utility allows me to see quite easily (and quickly) which colours may work together.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:21 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
Curious. I don't quite know how you got the color squares you have in your message, or what they do for you in getting to a web site color design.
I used a color tool with an eyedropper to sample from the Vermeers I found on the web. (I rather doubt the colors are accurate to the paintings — and know that many of the paintings are either faded or dirty, so probably do not look as they once did.)

Anyway, my theory was that a painter’s sense of color may be better than mine so why not sample from a painting. Thus the colors in the squares.

I’m not sure how much they help in choosing a web design, but I thought it was an interesting notion.

Old 10-15-2005, 07:55 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Petersen
I can't remember if this has been posted here before but there's a simple palette generator at http://colormatch.dk/ and many similar around the web.
I have Color Studio Schemer, but you always have to start somewhere and then the color schemes tend to be somewhat insular. That is often desirable, of course — helps you get compatible dark, medium, and light shades.

ColorMatch is cute. BTW, the maker says it works only with MS Explorer, but it also works with Opera and Safari (though not Firefox).

Old 10-15-2005, 09:03 AM   #10
Ian Petersen
Staff

Yes, it works in Opera athough does get confused sometimes if you drag the sliders instead of clicking.

One thing most of those palette generators don't take into account is the proportion of one colour to another. A little bit of red goes a long way in a field of green. That's where sampling your Vermeers is a good technique if you can keep the same relative proportions as in the original painting.