DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2005, 12:12 AM   #34
Patrick Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim
couple of things to pick up on... that sales agents cannot vary the price on offer...? i have upgraded to v8 and then to version 10.. on both occasions i haggled... when i enquired two weeks ago about upgrading, i was first offered £40, then the sales assistant offered £30 till the end of the week, then eventually he offered £19.99 if i bought it then.. so they clearly have several prices in there head.. the current version is being offered to upgrade at £49.99 but i already know of many people who have paid £39.99 plus p&p after receiving a £10 valued customer discount..

the rule with serif seems to be haggle.. if you dont ask you dont get...
Agreed, my understanding is that the "current" version is hard to haggle on, so I am surprised that it was discounted while PP10 was the lead product, I think you did well to get it for £20 before PP11 was out. I think that £19.95 is the current upgrade price of PP10 now PP11 is released. You have not been ripped off at all, as I understand it.

Until the sales agents are allowed to sell PP11 they cannot take orders for it, the system won't allow it, so they tend not to mention unreleased products, because there are no product details for them to read out (plus they would not have been trained in the new features), and that would make it hard for you to make a decision not knowing what is in the new version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim
one simple ommision by a sales assistant... failure to just say "look.. i can sell you v10, but i shall do you a favour.. v11 is being released in a couple of weeks - hold off" would have made me even more impressed.. being sold it, and then two weeks later seeing a new version released makes me feel ripped off, and like they really dont care about there long term customers and leaves me feeling like not buying another version again....
I agree, there has to be a point at which the next version starts to be mentioned in sales pitches, feeling "ripped off" is not good. Obviously sales agents want to make sales... However as I understand it you cannot get PP11 for less than 49.95 (or 39.95 for a few customers if you are correct) whether you are on PP8 or PP10 the price for PP11 is the same (I'm not in sales I think this is correct though). So return your PP10 (within 30 days) and order PP11, easy (I hope)

Patrick Connor
Software Product Manager
Serif Europe Ltd

www.serif.com
Patrick Connor is offline   Reply With Quote