DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 10-05-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
Hereward

Default Printer for Desktop Publishing

I was wondering if anyone could help a complete novice who wants to print good-quality, long-lasting colour illustrations for limited-run books produced with a Fastbind binder on the desktop. I had the Epson Stylus Photo R2400 in mind, but the glossy photo papers it uses are very thick and rather expensive. Would some other paper type be good for my needs, or should I actually be looking for an entirely different type of printer? Thanks in advance for your input...
Hereward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
Michael Rowley

to print good-quality, long-lasting colour illustrations for limited-run books

Do you need an A3 printer for such a job? If not, an A4 printer will be considerably cheaper. And, depending on the quantity you will produce, a laser printer will be cheaper to run, possibly a dye-sublimation printer, which is said to produce good quality prints.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
Hereward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
Do you need an A3 printer for such a job?
Yes, we'll need an A3+ printer for A4 sized covers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
If not, an A4 printer will be considerably cheaper. And, depending on the quantity you will produce, a laser printer will be cheaper to run, possibly a dye-sublimation printer, which is said to produce good quality prints.
We heard the laser printer would be cheaper, but that the colour quality and ink longevity wouldn't be so good... is a dye-sublimation printer a type of laser printer? Did you have a particular model in mind? Thanks for the tip, anyway, I'll check it out!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Michael Rowley

is a dye-sublimation printer a type of laser printer?

No: I shouldn't really have mentioned it together with laser printers. They work by heat diffusion from four dye-bearing films, the heat coming from a mulitude of little heaters (don't ask me what sort!). The quality is supposed to be better than an ink-jet printer, and the dyes lightfast. However, if a laser printer will do, the colour is much better than it was—it is claimed.

By the way, there's no sublimation involved in 'sublimation' printing.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

>>hereward: I had the Epson Stylus Photo R2400 in mind, but the glossy photo papers it uses are very thick and rather expensive. Would some other paper type be good for my needs, or should I actually be looking for an entirely different type of printer? Thanks in advance for your input...

The 2400 is a nice printer--I don't own one but have read good things about it...I use an Epson 4000.

Are you located in the US? If so take a look at Hawk Mountain Art Papers as they have a nice line of paper--I use their Osprey Textured and Condor Bright White both of which are matte papers but I believe they also offer glossy papers.

You might email Diana York at Hawk Mountain and tell her what you are looking to do and see if she might have some suggestions.

Hawk Mountain does offer some paper profiles but I don't see any listed for the 2400.

If you are going to use 3rd party (non-Epson) papers, you really want to consider having a custom paper profile created. I use Cathy's Profiles and she does an excellent job. Her profiles are well worth the $40 she charges.

Let me know if you have additional questions...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereward
I had the Epson Stylus Photo R2400 in mind, but the glossy photo papers it uses are very thick and rather expensive. Would some other paper type be good for my needs, or should I actually be looking for an entirely different type of printer?
Most of the papers (and inks) that would be suitable for your job will be relatively expensive (compared to plain old copier or laser printer paper, say).

However, you do not necessarily have to use Epson-branded papers. In fact, most art projects use third-party papers, but you will have to get advice and then test with your own artwork to find the right match for you. As Terrie pointed out, there are some nice ones, but you might need to get a custom profile for them to have the best results.

I am thinking of a 2400 myself, for a similar purpose. It seems like a very good printer, but you do need to work out the custom details, it seems.

On the recommendation of someone here, I got Mastering Digital Printing (2nd edition) by Harald Johnson. It has useful information about specific printers and papers that would probably help you figure all this out.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Hereward
If its long lasting you want then - the first thing to do is go on the suppliers sites and find out how light fast their inks are. Once you have found that out then you can look at other things
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:58 AM   #8
Hereward

Thanks for all your replies - it sounds like the Epson 2400 using third-party papers might be the way to go. Colour illustrations of illuminated manuscripts are what we're planning. I live in Germany, but I dare say there will be some good custom paper producers around this neck of the woods too. I'll get the Mastering Digital Printing book and ponder my options further - thanks for the tip, Kathleen.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:32 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hereward
Colour illustrations of illuminated manuscripts are what we're planning.
Oooh — lovely. I hope you work out a way to do this.

Please keep us posted on your progress. (And maybe upload a reduction of one of your images so we can see what you are working on.)

Old 11-12-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hereward: I live in Germany, but I dare say there will be some good custom paper producers around this neck of the woods too.
You might take a look at the Yahoo Epson printers group. It has a large number of subscribers and I'll bet there is someone who can give you recommendations for paper/ink suppliers in Germany...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote