DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 10-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Epson 4800: new utility

Hey Mike...you might be interested in the new utility Epson has available for the new K3 printers (for the 2400 and 4800) called Epson Color Base which apparently will characterize your printer to an Epson standard.

From reading on the Colorsync and the Yahoo WideFormat lists, it should prove to be particularly useful for people using Epson papers but perhaps not all that useful for 3rd party papers...

There's a faq for the 2400 that should give you an idea of what it will do--not sure if they will develop a faq for the 4800...

At this point, the software is only available on the Epson European website...

Terrie
terrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:37 PM   #2
Mike
Staff

Many thanks, Terrie. It's downloading as I type.

Isn't it anoying when people don't provide a print-friendly version of their FAQs...

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:21 AM   #3
Mike
Staff

Ahah. Just read some of the FAQ and it seems I need a colorimeter as well as the software.

I'm hoping Pantone bring out a version of the ColorVision PrintFix for the 4800.

www.welshframing.com
Old 10-04-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

>>mike: Just read some of the FAQ and it seems I need a colorimeter as well as the software.

Yeah...you do...but as they mention in the faq (it is annoying that you can't print all of it out), you could have the reading done by someone who owns a colorimeter...I'll bet some of the profiling sites will offer that service soon...

>>I'm hoping Pantone bring out a version of the ColorVision PrintFix for the 4800.

I'll bet they will...

Terrie
Old 10-04-2005, 11:52 PM   #5
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
I'll bet some of the profiling sites will offer that service soon...
If I have to pay though I might as well use one of the already available profiling services, I guess.

I've decided that it isn't possible to get a completely faithful reproduction of, say, a watercolour. Ink isn't watercolour paint and isn't going to have the same gamut and the paper I'm printing on will undoubtedly be different to that used by the artist.

Rather than try for exact replication it seems better to aim for replicating the artist's intent and finding something they like as much as their original. After all, the print is never going to be seen next to the original once it leaves the workshop.

The main problem I have at the moment is that the colours coming off the printer are more saturated than the original. Fortunately it's easy to slightly desaturate them in PS but it would be nice not to have to do that.

www.welshframing.com
Old 10-05-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

>>mike: If I have to pay though I might as well use one of the already available profiling services, I guess.

I would bet that they'd do it at a lower price than a paper profile but I might be wrong about that as they still have to do a reading...do let me know what you decide to do...

>>I've decided that it isn't possible to get a completely faithful reproduction of, say, a watercolour. Ink isn't watercolour paint and isn't going to have the same gamut and the paper I'm printing on will undoubtedly be different to that used by the artist.

Gut level that make sense to me for a number of reasons...the primary one being the scan picking up either not quite enough detail or too much.

As to paper...there certainly is no reason why you couldn't print on "real" watercolor paper (as vs. coated for inkjet use wc paper). I certainly have in the past. While your colors may be off a bit if your not using a custom profile, doing some test printing on wc paper would at least give you an idea of the extent of dot gain and an idea of what texture would show. If you feel those aspects are "good" then you could have a custom profile made--dot gain might change with a custom profile.

As I remember, I used to use Archival Matte or Enhanced Matte as my paper choice when printing on wc paper on my 1160. With the 4800, I'd go with Watercolor Radiant White paper.

>>Rather than try for exact replication it seems better to aim for replicating the artist's intent and finding something they like as much as their original. After all, the print is never going to be seen next to the original once it leaves the workshop.

I think that's a reasonable approach...

>>The main problem I have at the moment is that the colours coming off the printer are more saturated than the original. Fortunately it's easy to slightly desaturate them in PS but it would be nice not to have to do that.

You shouldn't have to do that...it may be the paper you are using rather than the printer (well...so to speak)...I'm assuming you are using Epson papers still with the provided Epson paper profiles?

I wonder how things would be if you used this new utility software?

Keep me posted...

Terrie
Old 10-13-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
Ted Birmingham

Hello, I work at iProof Systems and we used ColorBase before we calibrated all of our profiles for our RIP which uses Epson's screening for the 4800 and the R2400. This means to rebalance the profiles we ship with our RIP, you only need to run ColorBase and not redo all of your profiles. We found ColorBase tool to be outstanding. It was designed originally to work with an EyeOne. Although any spectro or colorimeter could read the targets.
Ted Birmingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

>>ted: We found ColorBase tool to be outstanding.

Good to hear that...I wonder if Epson will do a release for the 4000 which is what I have...

Terrie
Old 10-14-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
Ted Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
>>ted: We found ColorBase tool to be outstanding.

Good to hear that...I wonder if Epson will do a release for the 4000 which is what I have...

Terrie
My experience as a developer for Canon, Epson, and HP is no manufacturer ever goes backward. They are already working on some new project by the time they give it to the RIP developers.
Ted Birmingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:28 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

True...guess we're lucky to get driver updates...'-}

Terrie