DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 10-01-2005, 08:09 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default LCD Pivoting Screen

I am considering buying a LG Flatron LCD Monitor, which can pivot from landscape to portrait mode. It has a sensor and included software which will switch the orientation along with the position of the screen.

I suspect that desktop publishing people may be using portrait mode with software that makes the switch, either automatically (Flatron) or with included software, or software included with the video card.

What can you tell me about the use of portrait mode? Anything about the hardware would also be interesting to me.

LG Electronics Flatron L1981Q, a 19" monitor, is reviewed quite favorably in PC WORLD magazine for October, 2005.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:01 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
I am considering buying a LG Flatron LCD Monitor, which can pivot from landscape to portrait mode. I suspect that desktop publishing people may be using portrait mode with software that makes the switch, either automatically (Flatron) or with included software, or software included with the video card.

What can you tell me about the use of portrait mode?
Interesting. Years ago Radius made a pivoting monitor, and I knew a few people who used them, though not many. In fact, I thought the whole notion had been abandoned, but I just did a quick Googling and found several references to pivoting monitors.

Just curious, but why would anyone want to be able to pivot from landscape to portrait? Why not just buy a larger monitor that would accommodate work of any format?

Old 10-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Portrait monitor use

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Just curious, but why would anyone want to be able to pivot from landscape to portrait? Why not just buy a larger monitor that would accommodate work of any format?
Right now I have the video card set at 1024x768, the maximum. A larger monitor will make the characters larger, but won't put more of the DTP forum on the screen. I don't see the replies because of the space used by the browser lines and by the forum heading. A switch to portrait mode, presumably would give me more vertical coverage before scrolling. I am asking about whether that works out in practice, though.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
Right now I have the video card set at 1024x768, the maximum. A larger monitor will make the characters larger, but won't put more of the DTP forum on the screen. I don't see the replies because of the space used by the browser lines and by the forum heading. A switch to portrait mode, presumably would give me more vertical coverage before scrolling. I am asking about whether that works out in practice, though.
Hmmm. I have a 23-inch LCD monitor (1900X1200). It has a landscape shape, though I have my browser set to a vertical page and the forum set to Hybrid Mode.

With my setup I can see the thread diagram, the message I am reading, and whatever of the thread fits beneath that message. Then I do need to scroll vertically. If the message is a long one, I may see only part of my other messages. So I guess what you want is to see many messages in the thread?

If you use Linear Mode you get more messages on the screen, but lose the thread diagram, which I find helpful. If you could have higher resolution, it might help you, marginally.

It will be interesting to hear from someone with a pivoting monitor to see if it looks much different from what I see. This forum software is good in many respects, but it is kind of bulky, and even using browser controls to reduce the type size only helps a little with the vertical spacing.

Old 10-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

KT:

I have a 23-inch LCD monitor (1900X1200)

We rather envy you your big monitor, but now that a lot of people have the facility for running two monitors, I wonder whether it would be more economical to have two smaller monitors; you can get two good 17-in monitors for less than the price of a bigger one. And twin portrait monitors would make excellent sense for book typographers.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
… now that a lot of people have the facility for running two monitors, I wonder whether it would be more economical to have two smaller monitors; you can get two good 17-in monitors for less than the price of a bigger one. And twin portrait monitors would make excellent sense for book typographers.
We have had that ability on the Mac for years, and about ten years ago I tried it for a while, and hated it. It was more work navigating to palettes and other support items when placed on the second monitor, and the arrangement did not materially improve my life in any other aspect. <g> So first chance I found, I got a nice big monitor and gave up on using two.

In any event, he was curious about how this forum works. I do not think he ever considered producing books.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
And twin portrait monitors would make excellent sense for book typographers.
Not necessarily. It's important to see the readers' spreads when doing book design/production.

I had two monitors on my Mac 15 years ago - the lovely Apple Portrait monitor, and a 14" colour. Moving the cursor from one to the other was interesting, especially in PageMaker, which kept putting the Tabs palette below the bottom of the screen where I couldn't grab it to move it.

Now I have one 20" monitor.

Old 10-01-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
Michael Rowley

Ann:

It's important to see the readers' spreads

That was precisely my point: you can see both pages at once, side by side. But I don't know whether the Mac OS supports it properly. A 20-in display would be not much use to me for any detail work.

Old 10-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
That was precisely my point: you can see both pages at once, side by side.
I can do that now, on my 20" monitor, at the correct distance apart. I would quite like a second monitor now, but it would be for the tool palettes, not the working page. If you're going to use two portrait monitors for the pages, where do you put your tool palettes in InDesign?
Quote:
But I don't know whether the Mac OS supports it properly.
The Mac OS supported a second monitor (without the need for a video card of any sort) 15 years ago. Why would it not support a second monitor now?
Quote:
A 20-in display would be not much use to me for any detail work.
Hmm, I've been using my current 20" monitor for nearly 10 years for very detailed work. I can zoom in and out at will. What size monitor do you have?

Old 10-01-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
Michael Rowley

Ann:

The Mac OS supported a second monitor (without the need for a video card of any sort) 15 years ago

That may be one of the advantages of Macintosh OSs. You need a special type of video for PCs using Windows, but it may have become standard, and you need software support if the two monitors are to behave as one. Windows 2000 didn't give that support, but I believe Windows XP does.

I am using a 19-in CR tube, but when I'm working in Word (which is most of the time) I prefer to use 200% magnification if I can. And where do I put the palettes? Nowhere, if I can help it: I don't like them, and I especially dislike InDesign palettes, which have writing on them that's too tiddly to read, even if I had the knack of reading text that's inclined to the horizontal at 90º.