DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Default I'd like some feedback, please

Folks-

I am building a forum for a couple of trade organizations. Its about to launch, and I'd like to get some feedback.

the url is: www.fashionconnect.org

You can rummage around as a guest, or to see the member view, log in as:

User name: Test Member
Password: password

Most of the intended user base for this forum will have never used forums before.

TIA!

Old 09-26-2005, 09:17 AM   #2
donmcc

This div

<div style="z-index:3;position:relative;top:-71px;left:0;">
<A HREF="http://www.sffi.org" TARGET="_blank" class="header_link">San Francisco Fashion Industries</a>&nbsp;&mdash;&nbsp;<a href="http://www.fashionbizinc.org" class="header_link">Fashion Business Incorporated</a>

appears on top of the forum name on page one (IE on WIN XP). I don't think this is intended.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:23 AM   #3
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc
This div...appears on top of the forum name on page one (IE on WIN XP). I don't think this is intended.
The *code* appears!?

Old 09-26-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy
Folks-

I am building a forum for a couple of trade organizations. Its about to launch, and I'd like to get some feedback.

the url is: www.fashionconnect.org

You can rummage around as a guest, or to see the member view, log in as:

User name: Test Member
Password: password

Most of the intended user base for this forum will have never used forums before.

TIA!
I'm using FireFox and 800x600, and the top banner has overlapping sections, so I can't make out what it is.

The site has visual appeal, and its layout in unique enough for people into fashion. It's not immediately obvious that it is a forum--but good fashion is often like that.

Ok I just looked at it again. In the top center, the FashionConnect.org is dropping down too low.

Regards,

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
donmcc

No no. Sorry to alarm you. Only the links appear, but they are smack over top of the title. I'm sure that is not intentional.

I just put the code in my message to show you what links I was referring to.

Don McCahill
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc
Only the links appear, but they are smack over top of the title. I'm sure that is not intentional.
Whew! The links are supposed to be there, but they are supposed to sit above the title. Looks like the positioning is not working quite right.

bttdb

Old 09-26-2005, 09:50 AM   #7
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
I'm using FireFox and 800x600... In the top center, the FashionConnect.org is dropping down too low.
Okay-- I knew that banner had issues below 800 pixels, but looks like i need to make things a touch smaller still.

thanks!

Old 09-26-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
Michael Rowley

Don:

The welcome message is too wordy and too crowded for my taste, and it's not necessary, since you are not pushed for space. I feel you might alarm even the most hardened forum-user.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy
… I'd like to get some feedback.
On a Mac, looked with several different browsers, all with my type size defaults at 12 pixels (or just 12, in Safari, which is usually a bit larger).

In Firefox 1.4 beta and OmniWeb 5, the type in the pink area above the logo banner is unreadably small (I see pixels; the words can be doped out, but not easily).

In Firefox, the pumpkin-colored box has been condensed to a (roughly) 12px rule with no type showing. And the text in the Forums column is small. Not unreadably so, but very small and a bit hard to read.

In OmniWeb, the FashionConnect.org line in white sits beneath the navbar and obscures the middle of it.

In MISE 5.2.3 the white type is altogether missing. The type intended to be in the pink area is mostly below it on the left side, forcing a white line above the navbar; it is within the pink zone on the right, but all of the type in the pink area is too small to read. There are also other spacing anomalies, but not bad for MSIE 5, all in all.

I am not a fashionista, lord knows, but I find the color scheme to be extremely weird and somewhat unwelcoming. The highlight color clashes with the pumpkin-colored box, the rusty brown kind of clashes with the pumpkin and the blues.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:14 AM   #10
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I am not a fashionista, lord knows, but I find the color scheme to be extremely weird and somewhat unwelcoming. The highlight color clashes with the pumpkin-colored box, the rusty brown kind of clashes with the pumpkin and the blues.
Yeah but these things are hard to know about now-a-days. I was just wondering last week, if I should change my impressions about the trend with some women toward pink hair and blue fingernails.

Regards,

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote