DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Domain registration hijinks

I had an account with IXWebHosting.com and had registered several domain names through them. It was not a good experience, and four months ago I transferred the domains to GoDaddy and then canceled the hosting agreement. They acknowledged this and stopped billing me.

Since then, they have been e-mailing me to advise that my domain registrations are about to expire and that I must renew them. The first time was just a few weeks after I canceled, so I figured it was a normal time lag. But they did the same for another domain that was expiring two months after I terminated the agreement, and now they are doing it for another.

I sometimes get similar notifications and pseudo-invoices from strangers (companies with names like Registration Clearinghouse, say), and I recognize them as a low-grade scam, and throw them away.

But IX knows I no longer have an account with them, and knows that the domains have been transferred. Further, I checked WhoIs and GoDaddy, and sure enough, they are safely out of IX’s hands.

This does not seem like a straightforward act (though I suppose it could be mere incompetence). Except for prompting me to check WhoIs, GoDaddy, and IX, no harm done. But it does seem all of a piece with the general behavior of this web host, and I offer fair warning so no one else succumbs to what looks like great deals and low prices.