DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 09-23-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Domain registration hijinks

I had an account with IXWebHosting.com and had registered several domain names through them. It was not a good experience, and four months ago I transferred the domains to GoDaddy and then canceled the hosting agreement. They acknowledged this and stopped billing me.

Since then, they have been e-mailing me to advise that my domain registrations are about to expire and that I must renew them. The first time was just a few weeks after I canceled, so I figured it was a normal time lag. But they did the same for another domain that was expiring two months after I terminated the agreement, and now they are doing it for another.

I sometimes get similar notifications and pseudo-invoices from strangers (companies with names like Registration Clearinghouse, say), and I recognize them as a low-grade scam, and throw them away.

But IX knows I no longer have an account with them, and knows that the domains have been transferred. Further, I checked WhoIs and GoDaddy, and sure enough, they are safely out of IX’s hands.

This does not seem like a straightforward act (though I suppose it could be mere incompetence). Except for prompting me to check WhoIs, GoDaddy, and IX, no harm done. But it does seem all of a piece with the general behavior of this web host, and I offer fair warning so no one else succumbs to what looks like great deals and low prices.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I had an account with IXWebHosting.com and had registered several domain names through them. It was not a good experience, and four months ago I transferred the domains to GoDaddy and then canceled the hosting agreement. They acknowledged this and stopped billing me.
I had an uncomfortable 12 months with IX Web hosting, and was very pleased to get rid of them in March this year. But I have to say that my severance was uneventful. Of course, i didn't have any of my domains registered through them - at the moment I have three through MelbourneIT, and two through GoDaddy.

Which leads me to wonder how many of us find that we need multiple domains. For many years, i was perfectly happy with one; now I have five. And about a zillion e-mail addresses.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:37 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

It could be something as simple them having a list/file of domains registered with them that has not been updated properly???

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:12 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
It could be something as simple them having a list/file of domains registered with them that has not been updated properly???
I suppose. No way of knowing, really.

Old 09-23-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

>>kt: I suppose. No way of knowing, really.

Indeed...still...it's annoying...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:36 AM   #6
donmcc

I think that domains are public information, and any and all companies can harvest the information about when a domain is about to expire, and send you an email asking that you renew with them.

Of course, if they are not making clear that this is an offer, then they are little better than spammers IMHO. How many new employees at companies automatically renew with these companies because they think this is a routine request from a supplier.

Don McCahill
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 12:11 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc
Of course, if they are not making clear that this is an offer, then they are little better than spammers IMHO. How many new employees at companies automatically renew with these companies because they think this is a routine request from a supplier.
Precisely.

Here is the language they are using:
We are emailing you as your domain registration will be expiring in 7 day(s). Your domain registration should be renewed before 2005-09-29.

If you wish to secure your website's on line presence and renew your domain registration, please go here …

That is not a clearcut offer in my book. The registration is not expiring; it has been transferred somewhere else, is locked, and will not expire until 2007, all duly noted in WhoIs.

Old 09-30-2005, 04:31 AM   #8
vavroom

What it is is outright deception. Many unscrupulous companies will try to do that, and it works, because many people aren't savvy enough to know better. Some companies aren't communicating properly internally, so when the IT guys (who's the IT guy because he knows a bit more than the rest of the crew, and can turn the machine on and off...), when this guy goes ahead and moves the domain registration from a dodgy hosting-cum-resigtrar setup to a proper registrar, and that the hosting-cum-registrar then sends this kind of snail mail to the director of the company, 9 times out of 10, the director will freak and go right ahead, renewing with the hosting-cum-registrar. Sucks, but it works...

I tell all our hosting clients that while I will gladly assist them in registering their domain, they are far better off keeping "title" of their own domains on a reputable and dependable registrar, such as GoDaddy or Dotster.

My 2 cents

Old 09-30-2005, 06:21 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavroom
Many unscrupulous companies will try to do that, and it works, because many people aren't savvy enough to know better. Some companies aren't communicating properly internally, so when the IT guys (who's the IT guy because he knows a bit more than the rest of the crew, and can turn the machine on and off...), when this guy goes ahead and moves the domain registration from a dodgy hosting-cum-resigtrar setup to a proper registrar, and that the hosting-cum-registrar then sends this kind of snail mail to the director of the company, 9 times out of 10, the director will freak and go right ahead, renewing with the hosting-cum-registrar. Sucks, but it works...
I am sure you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavroom
… they are far better off keeping "title" of their own domains on a reputable and dependable registrar, such as GoDaddy or Dotster.
Yes, and navigating all the sales pitches at GoDaddy keeps them nimble and wide awake!

I’m not familiar with Dotster. Have to take a look.