DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 09-20-2005, 07:08 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default New Yorker: 80 years on DVD

The New Yorker has scanned every page of every issue since its founding in 1925, all searchable, and is selling the collection as The Complete New Yorker — a book and set of 8 (computer-only) DVDs. Pages can be printed out in full color for reading offline.

Lists for $100, but I found it on Amazon today for $63. This is an incredible value. The set is complete up through February 2005, with updates to be released each spring from now on.

The Complete Cartoons of the New Yorker came out in 2004, but many of the essays and short fiction that the magazine was famous for have not otherwise been available (or only in long out-of-print books).

I heard about this on NPR’s Morning Edition.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
Franca
Staff

Quote:
I heard about this on NPR’s Morning Edition.
I heard about it from The New Yorker. I'm on their e-mail list. It does sound like an amazing deal even at full price and I may just go for it. I can secretly buy the DVDs and then recycle all of the printed copies stacked up in my office - my husband will think he's died and gone to heaven. <eg>

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:59 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
It does sound like an amazing deal even at full price and I may just go for it. I can secretly buy the DVDs and then recycle all of the printed copies stacked up in my office - my husband will think he's died and gone to heaven. <eg>
I just let our subscription lapse because it was one of six weeklies and we were perishing from the mass of paper. It was always one of my favorites, but I wasn’t managing to read much of it before another one came, and was always about six issues behind. Made me crazy.

Now I’m happy. My copy of the DVD package from Amazon should arrive by the end of the week.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:41 AM   #4
Stephen Owades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I just let our subscription lapse because it was one of six weeklies and we were perishing from the mass of paper. It was always one of my favorites, but I wasn’t managing to read much of it before another one came, and was always about six issues behind. Made me crazy.

Now I’m happy. My copy of the DVD package from Amazon should arrive by the end of the week.
Speaking as a mega-pack rat, I don't get the logic here. Do you mean that if you have the DVD edition you won't feel guilty about not having time to read The New Yorker, or that you'll somehow find new time in which to read it on-screen?
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:57 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Owades
Speaking as a mega-pack rat, I don't get the logic here. Do you mean that if you have the DVD edition you won't feel guilty about not having time to read The New Yorker, or that you'll somehow find new time in which to read it on-screen?
I am only a minor pack rat, myself, but feel overwhelmed by magazines, so we do not keep them for long. That’s fine for a news weekly, but often doesn’t give me time to read all the New Yorker articles that interest me.

I figure the DVDs will allow me to catch up on missed articles, for one thing; and being searchable, will allow me to track a particular writer or theme.

Who knows if it will work? But I was sad to give up the subscription last month (along with a couple of others), entirely because of the mass of paper around here. So it gives me a convenient out.

And now I will be able to read all those pre-WW2 Genet articles from Paris, and old Liebling that isn’t in books, and so on.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Owades
In our house anyway, it's not about time - it's about space. (Hmm ... wasn't there a line like that in some ancient TV theme song?)

This DVD method wouldn't do for books, but these are just magazines. The DVD is searchable - though I haven't seen it, theoretically I could search just for the film reviews or the fiction or the cartoons. I could just print out the pages I wanted to read at the moment and recycle them when done. Not to mention being able to browse all of the issues that came out before I was even born.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote