>>michael: Small horse?

That's my farrier working on my mare Zo's shoe...she's 15.1h...so...yes...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

she's 15.1h

To be honest, the shoe seemed more likely to fit a thoroughbred or Arab, but the only horse I've had, a dark-brown gelding, was 1.67 m (about 16.5 hands), so I'm not much of a judge.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

>>michael: To be honest, the shoe seemed more likely to fit a thoroughbred or Arab, but the only horse I've had, a dark-brown gelding, was 1.67 m (about 16.5 hands), so I'm not much of a judge.

It's not so much height as breed...for example, drafts are going to take a large shoe and they range in size from ohhh...15-ish hands to 17-18 hands...

That said, while I don't know for sure what Zo's breeding is, we believe she's a TB/QH cross and I mistyped her height beofre...she actually 15 hands, not 15.1--you can see a pic of her at http://tlbtlb.com/ltlimages/

Terrie

PS...16.5 hands is not quite correct as a hand is (generally) 4inches and so the specification is 16 to 16.4 where 16.4 is really 17hands...confused yet...'-}}
Old 09-26-2005, 03:43 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

It's not so much height as breed

I was thinking in terms of horses for the saddle. Princeps (official name) or Prince (what his breeder and we called him) was a Zweibrucker, but although he had a genuine Zweibrucker dam—not terribly big, but sturdy—he had a Trakehner sire, which was an official stallion at the station of the breed. In other words, any thoroughbred blood was well diluted. Most Western horses seem to be fairly lightly built, although strong.

Zoe has a very nice head; it's a pity her eye is in the shadow: one of the criteria horses were judged in our district of Germany (and probably anywhere) is that a horse should have a 'kind eye'.

The 'hands' measurement is a bit difficult to line up with metric measurements: 4 in is almost exactly 10 cm, but it's a little more, so 167 cm is 16½ hands plus a bit. My 12 year old daughter could manage Prince initially, and I fitted too (with 184 cm).

Old 09-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
terrie
Staff

>>michael:was a Zweibrucker, but although he had a genuine Zweibrucker dam—not terribly big, but sturdy—he had a Trakehner sire,

I don't know anything about Zweibrucker breed--tried a google search but didn't come up anything all that useful...got a link or 2?--but I do know Trakehners...there are a lot of them here in the States...lovely breed...

>>Zoe has a very nice head; it's a pity her eye is in the shadow: one of the criteria horses were judged in our district of Germany (and probably anywhere) is that a horse should have a 'kind eye'.

A friend of mine took that pic...it's one of my favs...the jpg loses quite a bit detail...a kind eye is very important in my book...

>>The 'hands' measurement is a bit difficult to line up with metric measurements: 4 in is almost exactly 10 cm, but it's a little more, so 167 cm is 16½ hands plus a bit.

Ahhh...gotcha...'-}}

>> My 12 year old daughter could manage Prince initially, and I fitted too (with 184 cm).

I had the opportunity to ride a 17h horse once...lovely horse...I'm short so while getting on wasn't too difficult using a mounting block, getting off was very interesting...thought my feet would never reach the ground...'-}}

Terrie
Old 09-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

I had the opportunity to ride a 17h horse once

You can be forgiven for using a mounting block then, though the recommended procedure is to lower one stirrup—though you might have run out of leather before it was low enough!

Link: http://www.zweibruecken-pferd.de/. It's all in German, I'm afraid, and I fear they've practically bred out the old Zweibruecker type, which was I think meant for the army, though with a strong leaning to uses as a light draught horse. They were not unlike the American horses nearer the north-east coast—I've forgotten their name.

Old 09-28-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

>>michael: You can be forgiven for using a mounting block then, though the recommended procedure is to lower one stirrup—though you might have run out of leather before it was low enough!

LOL!!! I always use a mounting block...saves the horse's back, my saddle and my very short legs...'-}}

Thanks for the url...found a few pics...lovely horses...

>>I'm afraid, and I fear they've practically bred out the old Zweibruecker type, which was I think meant for the army, though with a strong leaning to uses as a light draught horse. They were not unlike the American horses nearer the north-east coast—I've forgotten their name.

Perhaps Morgans? They are a very sturdy breed...used for driving and riding...

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/horses/morgan/

Terrie
Old 09-28-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

Perhaps Morgans?

Yes, those are the horses I meant.

Old 09-28-2005, 02:31 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

>>michael: Yes, those are the horses I meant.

Glad I guessed correctly...'-}}

Terrie