DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 09-14-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
limacguy

Default Quark 6.5 pdf - resolution/file name?

I am a technician not a Graphics artist so I am not as intimate with the apps as I would like to be.
I have a user with Quark 6.5 she was asking when it comes to saving or creating a pdf within quark, it always takes the name of the original file - even if she attempts to change it. Is there a preference for that? She may not want the original name because it could be a different revision.
Secondly, is there a way to do both high res and low res pdfs in Quark - and if so how do you choose between them two. What are the specific diffs between high and low res.

Thanks!!!

SGM
limacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

You might want to mention what platform you're on and which version of Acrobat or other software you use.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
limacguy

Steve:

Good point, Mac OS X Panther, Acrobat - I believe it was 4.x/5.x but have to verify. PDFs are being created from Quark not from Acrobat

Thanks
Old 09-14-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
Wharfrat

Quark 4-5 print to PostScript and Distill using Adobe Acrobat distiller.
The settings are in Distiller.
Quark 6 can export to PDF using the JAWS engine.
(Certainly do not trust this on a PC - MAc ... OK -
PC write PostScript and Distill.)

Tell Distiller to "Ask for file Destination"
and you will be prompted for a destination
where you can change the file name as well.

MSD
Wharfrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
BradW
Sysop Emeritus

I suspect she might actually be using XPress 6.x and is getting the default layout name (which will be the "old" file name if you've opened an old file and saved it under a new name) for the PDF name. In Preferences->PDF, change the default to "Project.pdf."

Brad
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
limacguy

Brad

Thanks for the response! Just want to make sure I understand, if you change to project.pdf will all files then be saved with this default name allowing the user to change the name? What can you tell me about resolution settings when making pdfs in Quark - is it too limited and you are better of using Distiller - would you be kind enough to shed some light on it for us?

Thanks!!
Old 09-17-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
BradW
Sysop Emeritus

I can't tell from your reply whether you understand the difference between projects and layouts in XPress 6. When you open an old (or create a new) file in XPress 6, both the project and layout names are the same. But each project (think "document" from older versions of XPress) can have more than one layout.

If you actually create multiple layouts in a single project (remember: document), you would probably want the layout name to be the default name for the PDF. But since most users don't bother changing the layout name when they re-save old files as new projects (remember: documents), they are confused when an old file name appears as the default PDF name.

(As a side note: I don't create multiple layouts per project either, so I use the layout name (Layout->Layout Properties...) as the job name. It's displayed at the top of the project (remember:document) window, and it makes me happy.)

So I generally suggest that the PDF export preferences be changed to "Project.pdf" as the default as that causes less confusion all around. You can always rename your PDF upon export.

I had hoped to point you to the relevant portion of XPress' Help menus for answers to the resolution settings, but finally got disgusted trying to find anything there and instead referred to David Blatner's Real World QuarkXPress 6 book. In one of the few (perhaps only) times David has let me down, that section of his book points readers to another book, Real World PDF with Acrobat. So I had to figure it out myself.

Basically, the Job Options tab of the PDF export options mimics the Image tab in Acrobat's Settings dialog box. If you have a set of job options for Distiller that you like, look at how the Image tab is set up and then copy the choices and values into XPress. It appears that XPress' default settings are closest to Acrobat 6's "Standard" settings.

If you're always going to use the settings you found in Acrobat, then make the changes in the Default Options section of XPress' PDF preferences. As with most things XPress, it's likely that you should make these preference changes with no files open; then they will affect all newly created files but probably not existing ones.

Brad
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote