DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 09-13-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Type in the round

I need to update a graphic that has two concentric circles, with text on a curve between the circles.

There will be text curved from left to right around the top, and from left to right around the bottom. (Does that make sense?)

I've always used Freehand to do text on a path, but always had trouble figuring out how to make it work. I have FH 10.

Is it any easier in Illustrator? I've got AI CS2.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
I need to update a graphic that has two concentric circles, with text on a curve between the circles.
This is how I've always done it in FreeHand:

1. Type the text for the top, press Return, and type the text for the bottom.
2. Draw a circle larger than the size of the inside circle you will be using.
3. Select both text and circle.
4. Select 'Attach to path' from the Text menu. The circle you attached the text to becomes an invisible path, the Return tells FreeHand to put the second lot of text on the bottom, and you just draw your two circles afterwards.

Sounds like an old-fashioned logo. Is it?

Old 09-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
marlene
Staff

Oooh, I can't wait to try that! I have two fires to put out first, which will take most of the day, but will play with Freehand tonight.

My problem is that I could never get that text at the bottom to work correctly -- it would flip upside down, or reverse itself, or hang from the bottom of the path like wet laundry.

It's more or less a logo -- at the moment they want embossed seals done, so I also need to come up with a graphic (gotta be simple and vector format so it's embossable) that represents the landscape industry. The challenge is that it needs to incorporate representations of both grass (for the turf industry) and plants (for the landscapers). But no trees.

mxh
Old 09-14-2005, 04:47 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Oooh, I can't wait to try that! I have two fires to put out first, which will take most of the day, but will play with Freehand tonight.

My problem is that I could never get that text at the bottom to work correctly -- it would flip upside down, or reverse itself, or hang from the bottom of the path like wet laundry.
That's wher this method works well - the circle you connect it to doesn't show, so you just put the inner and outer circles where you want them.

The FreeHand method is so easy, that I have terrible difficulty doing the same thing in InDesign, which makes the whole thing so much more complex. Of course, the type itself looks a lot better in InDesign, but the spacing and such is already mucked up by the curve.

My town, Caboolture, is particularly difficult to do on a tight curve, and whenever I have to do it, i go looking for a typeface with a large x-height to limit the ugly gaps as much as possible.

Quote:
It's more or less a logo -- at the moment they want embossed seals done, so I also need to come up with a graphic (gotta be simple and vector format so it's embossable) that represents the landscape industry. The challenge is that it needs to incorporate representations of both grass (for the turf industry) and plants (for the landscapers). But no trees.
Hmm, good luck with that!

Old 09-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
donmcc

That method will not work with Adobe programs. In those, you can't get the type on both the top and bottom of the circle. You need to make two separate circles, identical in size, one for the top type, one for the bottom type.

The trick is, that the bottom type will have its baseline on the circle, when really it should have the caps height line there. The trick is to use Baseline shift the move the type down.

If the circles are exactly the same size, and they are placed one above the other, it will work perfectly.

Don McCahill
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Quote:
I have two fires to put out first, which will take most of the day
That's an unusual mix to have with DTP - would you care to explain to us all? <gg>
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
marlene
Staff

Quote:
The FreeHand method is so easy...
You're right -- it was easy. But the type at the bottom had to be baseline-shifted (or whatever it's called in FreeHand) a little. No big deal. But the type at the bottom does look awkward -- letters seem a little distorted. The text is all upper-case, FWIW.

Oh, well. I'm still trying to come up with a graphic for the center of the logo. I tried to do some geometric grass across the bottom, but it looks like a picket fence. <g>

mxh
Old 09-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #8
marlene
Staff

I'm not violently opposed to drawing two circles. But I'm still not real comfortable in AI, so it was easier for me to retreat to the comfort of my beloved Freehand. <g>

mxh
Old 09-19-2005, 03:14 PM   #9
marlene
Staff

It seems that lately I wake up every day to discover that one client or another (or both) has some sort of emergency that needs immediate attention. Sometimes I have to work for a few hours in my bathrobe (dressing gown to you <g>) before I get a chance to get properly dressed in my normal business attire (boxer shorts and t-shirt).

This is traditionally my busiest season, emergency rush jobs notwithstanding. And my clients starting e-mailing me as early as 7:30 a.m. I'm not awake to read the e-mails, but they send them anyway.

mxh
Old 09-19-2005, 04:04 PM   #10
annc
Sysop

Quote:
I'm still trying to come up with a graphic for the center of the logo. I tried to do some geometric grass across the bottom, but it looks like a picket fence. <g>
Don't look to me for inspiration on that! I'm hopeless at it.