DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 09-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
imatt

Default GoLive Layout view not same as preview.

Why o why does the layout view in GoLive not look the same when viewed in the preview mode or with IE? Not true WYSIWYG is it?

For example, a graphic placed on a page which looks ok in layout view can be totally off when in preview mode. Why??
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:54 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatt
Why o why does the layout view in GoLive not look the same when viewed in the preview mode or with IE? Not true WYSIWYG is it?

For example, a graphic placed on a page which looks ok in layout view can be totally off when in preview mode. Why??
How does it look when you preview in other browsers?

You may be running into one of IE’s odd ways of interpreting CSS.

Or the limitations of WYSIWYG when it comes to the web.

Try comparing the results in Firefox or Mozilla, Safari if you use a Mac, as well as MSIE. And which MSIE, btw?

Old 09-14-2005, 03:12 AM   #3
imatt

I will try the other browsers you mention I think. I'm using a PC BTW. The preview in GoLive looks different to loayout mode also. Still new to this web design game. Just looking to make a simple web site.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:28 AM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

GoLive may be overkill for a simple site! There is no real WYSIWYG for web site development. The nearest is probably that of DreamWeaver, but even that has some issues when viewing with Internet Exploder, which does not handle current standards of CSS coding properly.

I have not used GoLive for some years, so it may have changed, but are you using divs (layers) to make the page or tables? If you just want to produce something that diplays what you want rather then comply to current code standards then tables are easier for beginners to get to grips with.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:10 AM   #5
imatt

I,m using GL as It was in the CS2 Premium package. Got it at a good price too....
Old 09-14-2005, 05:36 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I will try the other browsers you mention I think. I'm using a PC BTW. The preview in GoLive looks different to loayout mode also. Still new to this web design game. Just looking to make a simple web site.
Ahh — didn’t realize you were brand new to making web sites.

The first rule — possibly the hardest to learn — is that you have only limited control over how your page looks to different people (or in different browsers).

When you create a web page you want it to work (somehow) for anyone who does you the honor of visiting. You do your best to make it readable and attractive. But in the end, the visitor is in control of the result.

So as you said earlier, WYSIWYG is a bit of a lie. (Actually, it’s not all that accurate a term for page layout for print, either!)

What GoLive and other WYSIWYG editors do, though, is allow you to design the general layout visually. But it is probably more accurate to call it WYSIMOLWYG: What you see is more or less what you get.

Good luck. Let us know when you have something we can look at.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:38 AM   #7
jrabold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
... it is probably more accurate to call it WYSIMOLWYG: What you see is more or less what you get ...
I would call it WYSMBWYGBNNWAEG: What you see may be what you get but not necessarily what anyone else gets.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:42 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabold
I would call it WYSMBWYGBNNWAEG: What you see may be what you get but not necessarily what anyone else gets.
Very good! I like that one!

Old 09-14-2005, 07:28 AM   #9
imatt

Glad for the replies. Just wanted to make sure I am not doing anything drasically wrong.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:39 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Just wanted to make sure I am not doing anything drasically wrong.
Nope. It is not you but the endeavor itself! <g>

Coming to grips with the limitations is one of the toughest aspects of web sites. After that, it’s all a piece of cake. Well, doable, anyway!