DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 09-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
jgr

Default Setting up message boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
As you know, there are hundreds of buttons to turn on and off when configuring a vBulletin board.
Sigh... tell me about it (I'm still trying to figure out half of 'em!)...

Old 09-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr
I've got most of them figured out--holler if ya need help!

Old 09-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr
I get them figured out, then forget by the next time I need to look! And my current one was done in less than two days. Before that, I'd just played a bit with a test one months ago.

Old 09-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
jgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy
I will definitely take you up on that!

Old 09-11-2005, 07:59 PM   #5
jgr

Quote:
I get them figured out, then forget by the next time I need to look! And my current one was done in less than two days. Before that, I'd just played a bit with a test one months ago.
I know the feeling. And I just bought vBulletin to use on my personal website as well, and since that's really low traffic, I'll forget everything between installs/upgrades!

Old 09-11-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr
I know the feeling. And I just bought vBulletin to use on my personal website as well, and since that's really low traffic, I'll forget everything between installs/upgrades!
But it's worth it, isn't it? I moved my dressage board from phpBB to vBulletin nearly a week ago, and have had nothing but rave notices from the members. Not a single complaint!

Old 09-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
jgr

Quote:
But it's worth it, isn't it? I moved my dressage board from phpBB to vBulletin nearly a week ago, and have had nothing but rave notices from the members. Not a single complaint!
It is worth it; it simply works better.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:55 AM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Not a single complaint!
I run a couple of phpBB boards with no complaints. They are only re-skinned, not modded (except for a couple of security hacks) so most web users are already familiar with the way it works. I find vB more difficult to use, mainly because it is unfamiliar.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
I run a couple of phpBB boards with no complaints. They are only re-skinned, not modded (except for a couple of security hacks) so most web users are already familiar with the way it works. I find vB more difficult to use, mainly because it is unfamiliar.
Sorry, I missed this one last night.

My users weren't complaining, but the hosting company started getting antsy about upgrading phpBB each time a new version came out, and then 10 days ago delivered an ultimatum that all boards not updgraded within 2 days would be shut down. I've been using vBulletin here since we started testing it, and really like it, so when that ultimatum arrived, I decided to jump. The only comments from my members have been very positive, but I posted a brief message explaining the changes they would see in the interface, and asked them to give it a bit of time to get used to.

The biggest deal was the move to threading, and I explained that to them as being like a conversation, and how, if they used hybrid mode as i suggested, they would be able to follow the conversations more easily. Many of the comments I've had have been on that, and how much they like it now they understand how it works. But by and large, they're young - mostly in their late teens and early twenties.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #10
jgr

Default Hollering

!
Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy
Okay... here's one... and I feel stupid because I know I saw this once and now I can't find it. How do I tell vBulletin to notify a particular email address any time a message is posted and can I limit that by forum?