DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 02-10-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
Gerry Kowarsky

Default Font Suggestions for "IT"

Because of a department name change, I need to put the letters "IT" on an existing web page logo. The current letters are bold and slanted, and I'd like to keep that look. Anyone suggestions on an oblique font with a distinctive capital "I" and "T"? Right now, I am using Imago Extra Bold Italic. I plan to look through all my fonts, but there are so many I would welcome suggestions.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Kowarsky
Because of a department name change, I need to put the letters "IT" on an existing web page logo. The current letters are bold and slanted, and I'd like to keep that look. Anyone suggestions on an oblique font with a distinctive capital "I" and "T"? Right now, I am using Imago Extra Bold Italic. I plan to look through all my fonts, but there are so many I would welcome suggestions.
For whatever reason, the first font that popped to mind was a face I used to use way way back when in transfer type, Stop. You can definitely say it's I and T are distinctive:

http://www.myfonts.com/search?search%5Btext%5D=stop

Old 02-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Can you attach a scan of the existing logo here? Or give us a URL to look at it?

Hard to think in a visual vacuum.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:48 PM   #4
Michael Rowley

Gerry:

'I am using Imago Extra Bold Italic'

That is, I should have thought, very suitable, or as suitable as 'IT' can be in a sans serif font. I bought it (on someone here's recommendation) for use in headings with Ultima for the text—it has a nice stubby appearance.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
Gerry Kowarsky

I've attached what I have so far, minus an identifying logo at the left and the company name in the box at the lower right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	it.gif
Views:	175
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	32  
Old 02-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
Gerry Kowarsky

I might have been the person who recommended Imago, and I do like it for IT (I uploaded what I have so far in another message). I just thought I would see if anyone had any other ideas. I'm up the the Is in my font collection in Font Navigator, and I haven't found anything I like better. Others I've liked are Eurostyle Std Bold, Helvetica Rounded Std Black Italic, HelveticaNeueStd Black, and HelveticaNeueStd ExtBlack Cn. So far, the only serif that has appealed to me is Italia Bold Std, though I really want an italic.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:32 PM   #7
Gerry Kowarsky

IT certainly is distinctive. Probably too much so for an Information Technology department, but thanks!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #8
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
IT certainly is distinctive. Probably too much so for an Information Technology department, but thanks!
And very 70s-80s. <g>

I see in another reply you considered Italia. That popped to mind, too, FWIW.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
I've attached what I have so far, minus an identifying logo at the left and the company name in the box at the lower right.
A humanist sans serif might also be worth a look. Ocean Sans family has a nice one here: http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.asp?pid=205800

Old 02-10-2005, 02:20 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I think that finding something to mix with the Imago, other than a heavier or huge and lighter style from the same family, will be very difficult.

Using something distinctive for the IT is tempting — you might want to rummage in the Letraset library. ITC Machine could work, but it is pretty old now. You might take a look at Font Bureau’s Armada Black. Odd, but massive, and it could be ghosted out, sort of behind the words, or otherwise tamed slightly.

If you were thinking of replacing all the type, then you might want to look at Barmeno.

Or if you want to look no-nonsense and authoritative, use Helvetica Inserat for the IT and some other style of Helvetica for the text.

Ah, I’m just babbling here. Gotta go fix dinner. I have some of these faces, so if you want me to set some ITs for you later, I can.