DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 09-10-2005, 03:35 PM   #1
tatesha

Default Opicon Font Viewer and/or Extensis Suitcase ?

Does anyone know about Opicon and/or Extensis Suitcase ?

While searching my font collections for the elusive Harry Potter Font I realized that I needed a FontViewer that can open fonts outside my Fonts Folder.

I have an uninstalled version of Extensive Suitcase 10... but I haven't used Suitcase since what? Version 3.0?

A detailed description of Opicon can be found here w/ screenshots:
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Deskt...ewer-588.shtml

But in short it says:
Quote:
Opcion Font Viewer is a free font viewer written in Java that allows you to view both installed and uninstalled TrueType fonts on Windows, Linux, Unix or Mac.

The main focus of Opcion is to allow you to view your uninstalled fonts so that you install only the fonts you want and keep your system memory free of fonts you don't want.

As you may have experienced, installing the brand new 1000 fonts font pack you just bought on your Windows, Linux, Unix or Mac computer can lead to slow-downs when starting the computer and when loading other programs.
My info:
PowerMac G3 w/ two 6.0GB harddrives [one mainly my font collections and font creating utilities.] running OS 9.2.2 and Mac OS Runtime For Java [MRJ 2.0]

I also have an HP Pavillion 4553z running Windows98 and a newer version of Java.

So even tho I am actually only interested in viewing uninstalled Mac Fonts at this point in time any information would be greatly appreciated as I work cross platform all the time !!
tatesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
tatesha

Default VisualFont 2.6 has them both beat !!

I gave up on Opicon but my search for more information on it lead me to a wonderful little 280k application called VisualFont 2.6.

VisualFont 2.6 allows you to view both PS and TT fonts anywhere on your hard-drive !! I was able to view 1000 fonts in my Archive on my additional hard-drive in about 1000 seconds !!

FOR INFORMATION:
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Font-To...ual-Font.shtml
The information says it is FREEWARE. However after downloading it I found out that it is FREE to use 20x. Then the designer "Jean-Baptiste Quenot" wants $20.00. If time is money, this little program just saved me alot of it.

It runs on Mac OS 7.0 or later !

TO DOWNLOAD:
http://caraldi.com/jbq/visualfont/di...nt_2.6.sit.hqx
Old 09-15-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatesha
I gave up on Opicon but my search for more information on it lead me to a wonderful little 280k application called VisualFont 2.6.
I’m glad you found a solution to your problem.

I assume it is a Classic (non-OS X) program — since it makes reference to System 7. Does it recognize OpenType fonts?

Old 09-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
tatesha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Does it recognize OpenType fonts?
I just tried it. And no, VisualFont didn't recognize any of the fonts in my Adobe OpenType Folder.

But then I am running OS 7.5.5 - 9.2.2 on my macs and even Extensis Suitcase 10 doesn't seem to recognize my installed .otf fonts!

In the description it doesn't mention anything about OS X. So I would imagine that it is exclusively for PS and TT fonts. The real "Classics" !
Old 09-17-2005, 05:25 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatesha
I just tried it. And no, VisualFont didn't recognize any of the fonts in my Adobe OpenType Folder.

But then I am running OS 7.5.5 - 9.2.2 on my macs and even Extensis Suitcase 10 doesn't seem to recognize my installed .otf fonts!
Still running 7.5.5! Wow. I don’t know for sure, but it may be that you’d need Suitcase 11 for OT.