DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
Brett em
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7
Default Quark files ballooning to 255 MB!

We received some 8-page Quark 4.11 files that were 255 MB. They have 10 or 12 TIFF images, 150 - 300 dpi, in CMYK color mode. [no PICT files]

Anyone have ideas on what caused the extra megs?

-Brett
Brett em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus
 
ElyseC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: southeastern Iowa, in the technology corridor
Posts: 2,190
Default

Hey there, Brett! You might check preferences, specifically that of image previews. I've seen files of logical size bloat right up to ridiculous numbers if images are imported with QX set to show high resolution image previews.

See, the app creates those previews from the images themselves and since QX isn't about to back-save the placed images so they carry their own now-enhanced previews, QX stores them in the page layout file.

I'm guessing you have it set to auto-update images when you open the .QXD and show high-res previews, yes?

   
__________________
Elyse
ElyseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:24 PM   #3
marlene
Staff
 
marlene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,419
Default

Quote:
You might check preferences, specifically that of image previews.
Where do you find the image previews pref? I've heard references to it before, but can't locate it. I am starting to suspect it might not be in the same place in the PC version as it is in the Mac version ...

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:24 AM   #4
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus
 
ElyseC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: southeastern Iowa, in the technology corridor
Posts: 2,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
Where do you find the image previews pref? I've heard references to it before, but can't locate it. I am starting to suspect it might not be in the same place in the PC version as it is in the Mac version ...
Not able to check the app itself for exact wording right now, but you're looking for the Display tab in the preferences window. The prefs settings there determine how documents, pictures, guides and such display on screen.

   
__________________
Elyse
ElyseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:19 AM   #5
Brett em
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Not able to check the app itself for exact wording right now, but you're looking for the Display tab in the preferences window. The prefs settings there determine how documents, pictures, guides and such display on screen.
As it turns out, the files that were so voluminous were all made on the same Mac that has other "issues". A thumbnail drag reduced the file size to 7 MB.

-Brett
Brett em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:45 AM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus
 
ElyseC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: southeastern Iowa, in the technology corridor
Posts: 2,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett em
As it turns out, the files that were so voluminous were all made on the same Mac that has other "issues". A thumbnail drag reduced the file size to 7 MB.
Wow! That's dramatic! Glad it solved the problem. Sounds like that Mac could use a backup, erase (zeroing all data to test the drive and lock out back blocks) and reinstall from scratch.

   
__________________
Elyse
ElyseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:34 AM   #7
Brett em
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Wow! That's dramatic! Glad it solved the problem. Sounds like that Mac could use a backup, erase (zeroing all data to test the drive and lock out back blocks) and reinstall from scratch.
I had something more dramatic in mind. [kick it to the curb] This customer shouldn't have equipment like this. [can't say who it is...]

-B
Brett em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:32 PM   #8
marlene
Staff
 
marlene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,419
Default

Quote:
...you're looking for the Display tab in the preferences window. The prefs settings there determine how documents, pictures, guides and such display on screen.
In 6.5 for Windoze, the display options are:

guide colors
opaque text box editing
color TIFFs (I've got it set at 24-bit)
gray TIFFS (set at 256 levels)
display dpi value (set at 96 dpi)
pasteboard width

I assume the TIFF settings are the only ones that have anything to do with preview display, and they're set to the max.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:09 PM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus
 
ElyseC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: southeastern Iowa, in the technology corridor
Posts: 2,190
Default

Frustrating. BTDT a lot over the years, mostly regarding my own equipment, unfortunately.

   
__________________
Elyse
ElyseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:21 PM   #10
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus
 
ElyseC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: southeastern Iowa, in the technology corridor
Posts: 2,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
In 6.5 for Windoze, the display options are:

guide colors
opaque text box editing
color TIFFs (I've got it set at 24-bit)
gray TIFFS (set at 256 levels)
display dpi value (set at 96 dpi)
pasteboard width

I assume the TIFF settings are the only ones that have anything to do with preview display, and they're set to the max.
Yep. Setting color TIFFs to the max will bloat the files for sure.

   
__________________
Elyse
ElyseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quark 6.5 - Linked EPS files bmann Print Design 3 12-20-2006 06:31 PM
The clients want the files? djb Business Matters 21 11-18-2006 10:30 AM
Batch processing Quark 6.5 files bmann Print Design 3 09-19-2006 04:03 PM
What are OSX's .nib files? ElyseC General Publishing Topics 7 08-14-2005 07:44 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.