DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 09-05-2005, 03:48 AM   #1
Kelvyn
Staff

Default Skype from web page

Following a Skype (VOIP) conversation with Ian L this morning (evening Australian time!) and noticing the real improvement in voice quality following an upgrade to the latest version of Skype software, I decided that the time was right to add a SkypeMe logo and link on the contact page of my web developer site.

That was 2 hours ago, and I already have received two Skype calls from potential customers!

Why would this be useful if you sell a product or service? Skype software is free, calls to other Skype users are free - and it is simple to use. Skype seems to have the largest user base of the competing VOIP systems, especially in the UK. And you can get an immediate response from a simple link on a page! There could be potential for voice spamming, so I will watch this. In any case it is a simple mouseclick to block a Skype user from ever bothering you again.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:46 AM   #2
jgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
That was 2 hours ago, and I already have received two Skype calls from potential customers!
That's terrific, Kelvyn! Technology advancing technology. Can't do better than that.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
Following a Skype (VOIP) conversation with Ian L this morning (evening Australian time!) and noticing the real improvement in voice quality following an upgrade to the latest version of Skype software, I decided that the time was right to add a SkypeMe logo and link on the contact page of my web developer site.

Why would this be useful if you sell a product or service? Skype software is free, calls to other Skype users are free - and it is simple to use. Skype seems to have the largest user base of the competing VOIP systems, especially in the UK. And you can get an immediate response from a simple link on a page! There could be potential for voice spamming, so I will watch this. In any case it is a simple mouseclick to block a Skype user from ever bothering you again.
Interesting. I've had a few complete strangers ask to be allowed to add me to their list of buddies (forget what Skype calls it) but have always refused.

However, maybe putting the logo and link on a web page would encourage potential clients to contact me.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
maybe putting the logo and link on a web page would encourage potential clients to contact me.
I have had my Skype ID shown on this particular site for some months now - but adding the link/logo seems to make a difference. It simplifies contact.

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 09-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #5
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Hi, Kelvyn,

Would that be the latest official release or the new Beta version?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:31 PM   #6
Franca
Staff

Oh, and speaking of Skype, I have purchased one Logitech headset and received a replacement headset from Logitech due to microphone difficulties but still no joy. The microphone works, sort of, but everyone on the receiving end says there is low volume and much static. I find the same thing when I run the test on Windows XP Pro under Accessories>Entertainment>Sound Recorder. I tried the headset on my husband's IBM ThinkPad - also running Win XP Pro - and it seems to work fine there, so I'm suspicious now that there is something about my desktop system that is adversely affecting my microphone. Any ideas?

Old 09-06-2005, 12:44 AM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
Would that be the latest official release or the new Beta version?
I am currently using the official 1.3.0.66 version, but have Beta 1.4.0.47 here to install - was planning to do this later today as the forwarding feature looks like a "must have".

Old 09-06-2005, 12:47 AM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
I'm suspicious now that there is something about my desktop system that is adversely affecting my microphone. Any ideas?
We had similar problems with mic input on one of my daughters' pcs. I put in a new soundcard - and the problem was fixed. I had planned on putting a good card in as she needs to be able to use midi.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:17 AM   #9
Franca
Staff

Thanks, Kelvyn. I suspect the sound card is indeed the problem. Pardon my lack of under-the-hood knowledge - is replacing a sound card a fairly easy task?

Old 09-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #10
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Thanks, Kelvyn. I suspect the sound card is indeed the problem. Pardon my lack of under-the-hood knowledge - is replacing a sound card a fairly easy task?
Very easy, assuming you have a spare slot. On XP these things seem to self-cofigure, too!