DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 09-03-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
artnsoul

Default Ghosting an image behind type in Quark

I would like to "ghost" an image (perhaps to 20 - 40%) behind type in Quark 4.1. I have tried saving the 4 color image as either a tiff or an eps, but wen I open the modify box in Quark, it does not give me the option to change the percentage. What would be the best way to do this...how should it be saved in Photoshop, and should it be modified there first (if so, how), or brought into Quark full strength and modified there. I am working with Photoshop 7.
artnsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by artnsoul
I would like to "ghost" an image (perhaps to 20 - 40%) behind type in Quark 4.1. I have tried saving the 4 color image as either a tiff or an eps, but wen I open the modify box in Quark, it does not give me the option to change the percentage. What would be the best way to do this...how should it be saved in Photoshop, and should it be modified there first (if so, how), or brought into Quark full strength and modified there. I am working with Photoshop 7.
To "ghost" an image, I'd do so in Photoshop, saving the ghosted version as a separate file (perhaps putting the word "ghosted" in the name when saving as).

Old 09-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
artnsoul

Default "ghosting an image"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
To "ghost" an image, I'd do so in Photoshop, saving the ghosted version as a separate file (perhaps putting the word "ghosted" in the name when saving as).
Thanks Elyse for your repolies so far - how would you "ghost the image" in photoshop?
artnsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by artnsoul
Thanks Elyse for your repolies so far - how would you "ghost the image" in photoshop?
I'm sure someone will step in with an even better way, but I can think of two ways I'd try it.

A) put the image on a layer above a bottom layer filled with white, then adjust the transparency of the photo's layer with the slider in the layers palette.

B) with the image on the bottom layer, create another layer above it, fill the new layer with white, then adjust the transparency of the white layer.

When you're done with either one of the above, just Save As or Save a Copy as a flattened TIFF and you should be set.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
Norman Hathaway

that's a great way actually.
there are several, but this one gives you something that's easy to readjust as well.
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

I was thinking just now that those methods would also let you give an image an easily adjustable color cast, like the blue one I've seen in ghosted images in medical industry informational brochures.

Old 09-30-2005, 06:52 AM   #7
Bodesman

Do your ghosting in Photoshop.

Bodesman is offline   Reply With Quote