DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 08-30-2005, 10:49 AM   #1
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Default When to use Quark's AsIs colour space?

I'm really confused about exporting a Quack 6.5 document as a Press PDF. I can choose Composite CMYK output, which retains my spot colours; or Composite As Is output, which does the same thing!

Which should I use? (BTW I want to retain my spot colours). Thanks, gang!
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Stephen Owades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
I'm really confused about exporting a Quack 6.5 document as a Press PDF. I can choose Composite CMYK output, which retains my spot colours; or Composite As Is output, which does the same thing!

Which should I use? (BTW I want to retain my spot colours). Thanks, gang!
I've just been making PDFs from QuarkXPress 6.5 with Acrobat Distiller 7 of documents containing "black" and several spot colors. Choosing either Composite CMYK or "As Is" produces CMYK blacks; i.e., all the black text and objects are made of combinations of all four CMYK colors. Only the "DeviceN" renders the blacks as just process black. Any of the three preserves the spot colors, unless I specifically ask Quark to convert spot to process.

I haven't found a good explanation of these options, and I'd like to learn more about them if anyone else has more insight.
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:40 AM   #3
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Robin we had a problem earlier in the year when a job that we had printed previously on the reprint had images that came out faded and awful ( we noticed after ptg 20,000!!!!) we found that the original work flow was making pdf using thin postscript (sort of OPI without the high res) and the reprint workflow was conventional pdf. It transpired that the images were rgb - Creo converted them to CMYK which is fine using the thin postscript - but when we created the concentional one from Quark we had Composite CMYK clicked and it converted the images to CMYK using Quark - If you click composite rgb it converts CMYK to RGB - if u leave it "as it" it does not convert it at all and leaves it as created
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #4
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

One of my jobs today was similar to your experience. Quack 6.5 Mac, document has a greyscale tiff and some text, all coloured Pantone 2728C. Exported as PDF: the separated file correctly showed just one colour, but the composite ended up with the text in the Pantone and the image in 4-colour.

As you discovered, the only way to correct the compo file is to choose DeviceN. Even more strange was the fact that in the the composite PDFs that I made using the CMYK or As Is print colours, the image ended up as Index colour. I don't have colour profiles in the tiff nor any colour management in Quark, and I get the same results whether I export as PDF directly or print to PDF through Adobe PDF 7.

Just for fun I recreated document in InDesign and it created a correct PDF: the image and text were Pantone 2728C, with no mention of Index or DeviceN.

Drives you potty, doesn't it?
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote