DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 08-31-2005, 06:00 PM   #1
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Default Proof an amateur's attempt?

My partner and I are hosting what may be a major fundraiser in two weeks. We're doing a limited mailing to try to boost turnout, but the two graphic artists that usually do stuff like this for me weren't available so the only alternative was doing it myself. And I don't have any DTP software so had to do it in Word.

I've attached a PDF. It's just a two-sided postcard, standard US size. I'd much appreciate any suggestions from the pros.

Now I know how newbie web coders feel posting their first link. ;>
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EdVirginiaPartisans.pdf (22.0 KB, 145 views)

Old 08-31-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
jgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
ROFL!!

I like it, and like the design. The only think I found a little disconcerting was the switches in the font. I didn't see a reason for them -- it wasn't as if all of X content was one font and all of Y content was another.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
dacoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr
ROFL!!

I like it, and like the design. The only think I found a little disconcerting was the switches in the font. I didn't see a reason for them -- it wasn't as if all of X content was one font and all of Y content was another.
Judy,

That's the kind of feedback I need. I'm used to all sans-serif, but in my old tech writer days when I wrote manuals I only used sans-serif for headers. I'm sure I did this postcard half tech writer/half web designer. That's why I asked here.

We've been displaced from CS, so why not take advantage of it? ;>

Last edited by dacoyle; 08-31-2005 at 09:47 PM.
dacoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Now, now. We are always kind!

Few thoughts:

The physical arrangement of the text as well as typeface and size choices do not seem (to me) to emphasize the important things.

On the front, I would place the name and address of the organization and logo at the bottom, not in bold face. I would also associate (by proximity) the slogan with the group name, address, and logo.

The invitation itself should be larger, and definitely not set flush right (we do not read that way particularly well; and notice how the commas make the right edge look ragged).

You should also decide what is the “main” type style (and I suggest it should be the serif, as that is generally perceived as being more serious), and set the invitation on the front and Mr. Fendley’s name at least in it.

I like your donkey, but it should be much smaller or larger (probably smaller) than the candidate’s head shot. And the two images should be in distinctly different places — not arrayed sort of symmetrically as you have them.

Have you checked to see how the head shot looks in B&W? (Assume you are not printing in full color?) I would worry about the background (it almost looks as if he has a huge weird earring). You could crop in dramatically, or mute the background if need be.

I would use all flush left text (none centered, none flush right). It looks more forthright and normal. And it is easier to read.

Well, more than a few thoughts. But I hope helpful ones.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:42 AM   #5
jgr

Quote:
That's the kind of feedback I need. I'm used to all sans-serif, but in my old tech writer days when I wrote manuals I only used sans-serif for headers. I'm sure I did this postcard half tech writer/half web designer. That's why I asked here. We've been displaced from CS, so why not take advantage of it? ;>
Good heavens, yes... folks doing DTP these days are often doing web design and vice versa so it really is a nice match, and I'm grateful to the folks here for the warm welcome extended to Inetpub "evacuees."

Old 09-01-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
dacoyle

Kathleen,

The group name and address have to be in the top left. This is a post card and that's the return address.

I'll play around with the other ideas after work, though. Thanks for the input.

Dennis

Old 09-01-2005, 11:36 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
The group name and address have to be in the top left. This is a post card and that's the return address.
Then that should really be at top left and out of the center of interest. I was confused by the large field around the live area, probably. One of Word’s defects is that it doesn’t provide crop marks! <g>

Old 09-01-2005, 03:36 PM   #8
dacoyle

Yup, I really should try to crop the PDF to 6x4.25 to make it clearer. I'm going to shorten the right-aligned text on the front. I kinda like how it frames where the address label will go but it's too wordy now. And you're right about the comma on the margin.

Can/Should any of the text be sans-serif? Even when I did print design, it was manuals and quick reference guides. I've done two brochures; one in grad school (you would have loved my program in technical communication) and one for AGLA, but had a pro at the print shop import my draft and polish it.

I'm working on another draft and should have something posted soon.

Dennis

Old 09-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
dacoyle

Here's my next draft...don't have the PDF print driver on the lap top, so I took too screen shots. Looks more like a postcard, at least.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edpage1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	168   Click image for larger version

Name:	edpage2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	169  

Old 09-01-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
dacoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr
Good heavens, yes... folks doing DTP these days are often doing web design and vice versa so it really is a nice match, and I'm grateful to the folks here for the warm welcome extended to Inetpub "evacuees."
Folks like our DTP friends that care about quality code are rare, but I bet there are lots of 'em here. In my professional work, I deal too much with the other kind... the ones that try to make HTML look exactly like print layout. Nightmares! So this is really a unique forum blend of talents. Just wish there was a "cooler" URL that would identify both, but the one I'd want isn't available (bydesign.com)

Want a giggle? Word is about a good DTP as FrontPage is for HTML, but it's all I have to work with. I was having fits trying to get Ed's picture set where I wanted it to the left of the text in the 2nd draft. I finally got it laid out by inserting a table. <g>