DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 08-26-2005, 02:10 PM   #51
BradW
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
But I'm trying to think of a book with many quotations and footnotes, and I'm stuck—too little imagination.
This tome is called Patterns of Global Terrorism 1985–2004, and the article was a Congressional report called "Proposals for Intelligence Reorganization, 1949–2004." Lots of footnoted quotes from various commissions.

Brad
BradW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:25 PM   #52
Michael Rowley

Brad:

Lots of footnoted quotes from various commissions

I can imagine that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was a great deal more interesting, though perhaps more stressful.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:17 PM   #53
marlene
Staff

Quote:
Perhaps you could find someone to modify your macro for InDesign.
I could probably modify the macros myself, if I could find a list of ID tags that were comparable to Quark's Xpress tags. But so far the only list I've found did not include a tag that would simply call for the italic of whatever font was currently used in the paragraph style; the ID tag I found would require specifying the exact italic font, including the font name (and then to return to the regular font, I'd also have to specify the exact font). This might work, although it could require more effort, but I haven't tried it yet.

Quote:
It is easy to 'Select all' in Word, then convert all paragraph styles to one simple style
That was really the key to the puzzle. I did that (IIRC, I created a Word style using the font I was going to use in ID) and it worked really well. Even when I applied a new paragraph style in ID, it kept the italic and bold formatting, etc.

I still need to do some experimenting -- not sure if Word bullets and auto-numbering will carry over into ID -- but at least now I feel like I'm on the right track.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:23 PM   #54
marlene
Staff

I keep meaning to try the qXport demo, but other crises keep cropping up (software, hardware, pesky clients, life in general). If it does what I need, it will be well worth the cost.

I'm just so spoiled by having my finely-honed Xpress tags macros that work so well, and so quickly. I can run a dozen Word files through my macros and resave as .xtg files in just a few minutes.

I will try to get to the qXport demo this weekend. Sooner or later I'll be getting another bunch of Word files for ID projects (those projects arrive in gaggles), and I'd like to have my ducks in a row.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:51 PM   #55
Michael Rowley

Marlene:

I could probably modify the macros myself

If you can do it, the advantage is that you can modify the macro whenever it occurs to you that you want to add something: buying a program is fine, but the program often turns out to be based on VBA itself, but can't be modified (except by its author).

If ID requires a complete specification before it'll do anything, the font name can be found in VBA (at least it could in Word Basic).

Word bullets are OK, but I don't remember if they convert (ID Help has the list of things that do and don't convert). Word numbering ditto, with the added remark that I avoid Word's automatic numbering like the plague, although I think it's OK now—old habits die hard!

Old 08-30-2005, 06:53 AM   #56
BradW
Sysop Emeritus

InDesign CS came with a file called "Tagged Text.pdf" that might be of some help. If it's not on your hard drive (and yours might have an underscore instead of an internal word space, of course), look on your installation disks.

The best way of figuring out the tags you need is to format some text in ID and export it as tags; you'll have the choice between verbose and non-verbose (or some similar name).

I just ran a test with qXport using its InDesign option, specifically telling it to leave out paragraph and font codes (but leaving in the font styles) and got codes like "<cTypeface:Italic>" and "<cTypeface:Regular>" (the simplified versions would be "<ct:italic>" and "<ct:Regular>").

With ID, the above codes would get wonky when dealing with faces that have heavy or oblique styles, but ID's find/change fonts dialogue would allow you to clean up a file rapidly.

Brad
Old 08-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #57
Stephen Owades

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
I keep meaning to try the qXport demo, but other crises keep cropping up (software, hardware, pesky clients, life in general). If it does what I need, it will be well worth the cost.

I'm just so spoiled by having my finely-honed Xpress tags macros that work so well, and so quickly. I can run a dozen Word files through my macros and resave as .xtg files in just a few minutes.

I will try to get to the qXport demo this weekend. Sooner or later I'll be getting another bunch of Word files for ID projects (those projects arrive in gaggles), and I'd like to have my ducks in a row.

mxh
If you really like your Xpress tags exporting process and want to continue using it with InDesign, you can buy Xtags for InDesign from Em Software. Regular (Quark) Xtags is a sort of Xpress-tags-on-steroids, which exposes more of the capabilities of QuarkXPress than the included Xpress tags language; it will accept standard Xpress tags coding without problems. And Em Software as created an Xtags for InDesign that will allow you to import the same tagged text as the Quark version.
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:46 AM   #58
Michael Rowley

Brad:

InDesign CS came with a file called "Tagged Text.pdf"

Which version of InDesign is that? I've got InDesign v. 3, which might be 'CS', but I'm not sure.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:07 AM   #59
BradW
Sysop Emeritus

The only version of InDesign I've had is v.3, which is indeed the same as ID CS1.

I may very well have had to look for the file on one of the disks; I can't remember if it was installed automatically.

Brad
Old 08-30-2005, 12:12 PM   #60
Michael Rowley

Brad:

The only version of InDesign I've had is v.3, which is indeed the same as ID CS1

My question was a futile one, as I have now realized: the answer stares me in the face when I open InDesign: Adobe InDesign CS—however, written sideways! Possibly the chief designer for InDesign had a mother that was frightened by a crab while carrying him: text printed sideways seem to be his ideal.