DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
Kass Johns

Location: At the base of Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Default Clean out your offices and send me some stuff!

Hi gang!

I am now teaching The History & Theory of Graphic Design at a local tech university here in CSpgs. I *know* that many of you out there have some old design and/or type posters you'd probably like to have a good home.

I am also looking for any of those old clear freebie type gauges that had the points and picas on them as well as the type height samples. I would like to give one to each of my students. (Remember what it was like to be on a student's budget?) If you were an attendee at many of the past (or continuing) publishing conferences, these were often giveaways at trade shows.

(Or do you have a contact at one of these vendors who can score me some of those?) I have been out of the loop for so long I have no contacts left anywhere anymore.

I also will be teaching next quarter and maybe summer quarter and further, too. So my student roster will likely increase.

The room I teach in is BARE WALLS and I hope you can help me rectify that. This room is also used to teach Drawing I & II.

If you have some stuff you'd like to find an appreciative home, I'd be happy to put my classroom and students on the receiving end.

Email me (pr@kassj.com) and I'll give you my mailing address here in Colorado Springs. Or visit my website (kassj.com) to see my mailing address at the bottom of each page.

I have a great poster from AGFA that has various woodcut letters on it in a collage pattern photo on a black background. Anything of historical significance like a poster of an old letterpress would be welcome! Basic type posters would help these beginning students learn to appreciate and recognize typefaces!

I am also looking for any spare copies of the old Compugraphic (AGFA) red booklet entitled "The Art & Technology of Typography." If you have one (or are like me and had a case of them at one point in time) maybe I can buy them off you? I had hoped that AGFA would have made it available as a PDF by now for students everywhere to see and use!

I just want to arm my students with as much quality info as I can. I am so thrilled that this program where I teach is still concerned with the techniques and quality of design over the whiz bang of the electronic tools.

This program consists of Drawing I & II, Design I & II, Typography I & II, et al... and NOT Illustrator I & II, or InDesign I & II, Photoshop I & II, etc.

I love seeing them catch the spark of excitement when I talk about the nuances of a type character or how letterpress works!

Thank you for your time and I hope I can find a new home for some of your office clutter!

TIA,

kass
Kass Johns is offline   Reply With Quote