DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default Commonest browser window shapes?

I feel as if I have been stuck in a cave for years!

In reading on another topic, I caught this intriguing comment by Christian Heilmann on A List Apart (a few paragraphs down under “The easier option”):
… most screens are wider than they are high …
Heilmann’s comment surprised me — but he posted it in May 2005, so it is probably not based on old standards.

But anyway, are most pages really wider than high? Is it important to design as if they were?

I tend to keep my browsers set in a somewhat page-shaped format (about 800 pixels wide X 1000 to 1200 pixels tall). When I design a page, that is the shape I assume. Of course, height isn’t controllable, so if I have a tall window, I would see a tall page.

Maybe this is why I sometimes need to scroll horizontally (something I loathe) — maybe I have been a portrait peg in a landscape hole the whole time.

Does it matter, so long as key content appears at the top of each page (what we old print-heads think of as “above the fold”) and if the pages flex to suit the width of browser windows?

Do you see mostly horizontal pages on the web? Maybe I am the only one surprised by this. I should probably poke my head out my cave more often!

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:44 AM   #2
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,918
Default

>>kt: I tend to keep my browsers set in a somewhat page-shaped format (about 800 pixels wide X 1000 to 1200 pixels tall).


I do consider the width--I use about 800px too) as I *loathe* having to scroll side to side but I rarely--if ever--consider the length of the page...I don't mind scrolling down...I'd rather have all the pertinent info on one page than have to go to another page because I've hit some arbitrary length restriction.

Perhaps that's just the nature of my particular pages???

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
I do consider the width--I use about 800px too) as I *loathe* having to scroll side to side but I rarely--if ever--consider the length of the page...I don't mind scrolling down...I'd rather have all the pertinent info on one page than have to go to another page because I've hit some arbitrary length restriction.

Perhaps that's just the nature of my particular pages???
Maybe so (and mine too).

But do you take pains to get all the important stuff in the top part of the screen?

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff
 
Andrew B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 3,501
Default

My browser window varies, but it is always wider than it is high. Right now it's 862 x 670
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
My browser window varies, but it is always wider than it is high. Right now it's 862 x 670
Interesting.

Do you have a favored setting or just adapt it every time you change web sites? Or?

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff
 
Andrew B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 3,501
Default

That is my favored ballpark setting. It varies a little as I adjust the bookmark/history panel on the left, and the number of bookmarks on the tool bar underneath. But if the web page won't compress well into the size of my window, I close the bookmark panel. And on rare occasions, I switch to full screen mode.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:47 PM   #7
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,918
Default

>>kt: But do you take pains to get all the important stuff in the top part of the screen?

Well...kinda sorta...'-}}

I put a brief description of the image and process used to create it along with the image itself...I've never really concerned myself too much with it being over screen-length/page length--I do set my image length to be about 600px so that as someone scrolls, they will see the entire image...

I do use my browser full screen by the way...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:56 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
I do use my browser full screen by the way...
Ahhh. Another approach that hadn’t occurred to me! Thanks.

I hate programs that assume they are entitled to the full screen, and certainly do not set things up that way myself — but my monitor is two feet wide, and one of its best virtues is that I can have multiple stuff laid out and available, just a quick click away. (Very useful when I am referring to one web page while composing a message on another, for example.)

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:58 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
That is my favored ballpark setting. It varies a little as I adjust the bookmark/history panel on the left, and the number of bookmarks on the tool bar underneath. But if the web page won't compress well into the size of my window, I close the bookmark panel. And on rare occasions, I switch to full screen mode.
Another full-screen viewer. Never even occurred to me.

I think I have become set in my ways! Of course, I favor pages that flex to suit the browser, so it probably doesn’t matter too much. But maybe it would be fun (or productive) to think different [sic] for a change.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:05 PM   #10
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,918
Default

>>kt: but my monitor is two feet wide, and one of its best virtues is that I can have multiple stuff laid out and available, just a quick click away.

Yeah...if I had a monitor that large, I'd probably not be using the browser at full screen either--my monitor is 19"...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Through the window iamback Images 17 10-26-2006 06:10 AM
Centre content in browser window Bo Aakerstrom Web Site Building & Maintenance 25 12-30-2005 09:02 AM
window printing in indd. helene silverman Print Design 5 10-24-2005 01:46 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.