DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 08-27-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
George

Default Change is good???

I redesigned things according to suggestions made in the forum-- 1) enhance carry over to linked pages; 2) reconsider position of inner links on articles; 3) reposition home page link on articles to upper right; 4) make text less wide in articles.

Here is the new design from a temporary folder (print styles not yet revised). Note, I changed the color scheme of the home page.

New design under consideration

Here is the original site as it appears now.

Design presently on line

Making these changes turned out to be harder than I thought. Maybe, that's why I missed them to begin with. I changed the postion of the article titles in one section, and that made the titles with more than one line more difficult.

Any comments are most appreicated.

Regards,

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
dthomsen8

You might consider increasing the size of the text. An easy way to do this is to use the View>Text Size menu choice in either Firefox or Internet Explorer. With style sheets, a larger size is easy.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:28 PM   #3
Richard Waller

I missed the earlier discussion on this site. BTW I think the text sie is about right.

What I am having difficulty with is that the links do not look like links. I think I would left justify all links, and have a >> type symbol starting each one.

I see no name address telephone number. How do people contact you.Keep up the good work.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:46 AM   #4
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Waller
I missed the earlier discussion on this site. BTW I think the text sie is about right.

What I am having difficulty with is that the links do not look like links. I think I would left justify all links, and have a >> type symbol starting each one.

I see no name address telephone number. How do people contact you.Keep up the good work.
I assume you mean the text size of the new design with the reduced width.

On justifying the left margin of links-- on the articles the internal links do not justify the Roman list markers, as a matter of how the software functions, but the text itself justifies. (In Firefox and IE, in fact, the markers are Verdana with the font of text in Georgia, but Netscape and Opera make both Georgia. I guess I just have to accept that also). I'll have to review the possibility of justifying the links left again on the home page,, and consider symbols on all links. However, I'm finding that suggestions from this forum take a little time to figure out on implementation. I might have to change gradually.

In regard to contact-- well, I guess e-mail, if anyone should ever have that desire. I've debated a lot in forums, and still do, and in those of one ISP, the hatred expressed was overwhelming, as well as the badgering to acquire my identity and location. It made me think I should be careful on the internet. Further, I want to promote the movement and certain beliefs, not myself or even the organization. That way I can reduce people becoming disappointed. However, I am considering additional alternatives for personal contact in regard to local matters. And, I am considering starting a forum, (which would include more personal information), as it seems the emergent church forums are the most dull and lifeless cyber-communities on the internet, and as usually I have a knack for sparking some lively debate and discussion in my field. But, I don't know.

Thank you for the response and suggestions. I bought another encyclopedia yesterday. I hope I have better luck with this one, if I get time to install it.

Take care now,

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote