DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 08-24-2005, 10:01 AM   #21
Anne Wright

Quote:
Meanwhile you might find something useful in sections not actually labeled “web” — never can tell!
Well, that is certainly true for me! I'm not really into desktop publishing, though I have done some brochures for my business. I joined when my husband got a job at Kinko's since he kept asking me questions about publishing stuff. And much of what I have learned in DTP has been used to help him. But I have learned things that I have applied to my web stuff, too.
Besides the people in DTP are great and fun to hang out with!
Anne
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:47 AM   #22
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Wright
Besides the people in DTP are great and fun to hang out with!
Aw, gee. (Same to you!)

Old 08-24-2005, 12:41 PM   #23
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Wright
Ann, I'm now getting more used to it - but aren't the changes continuing?
I think the fit here is great - and of course many of the talented people are the same in both groups.
It is looking good!
Thanks, Anne. We do try not to set things in concrete around here, so there will certainly be changes and refinements here necessary.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:02 PM   #24
Andrew B.
Staff

Anne, have you tried reading the forum using standard vBulletin automated methods. It took me awhile to get used to them, but they are faster and easier than looking over the forum list for where I want to read, and quicker at getting to topics of primary interest. At least, for me they are.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:26 PM   #25
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
We’ll see how it goes. Our notion was to integrate the two types of publishing, not segregate them, but if this arrangement doesn’t work for the long haul, we will consider a different one.

Meanwhile you might find something useful in sections not actually labeled “web” — never can tell! <g>
Kathleen,

Unless I start my own business, doubtful. And I absolutely do not want to offend any of the wonderful people that have given INETPUB a refuge. I just have no personal use for most DTP topics because I do online for a living. I gave up print over 7 years ago when I finally gave up and addmitted to myself that no matter how great my tech manuals were, no one read them. Ditto for online Help; but people do read my web sites. ;>

One advantage of the influx of web folk is we will be able to give you advice on your own site! And I'm going to guess your group will be MUCH more willing to listen than CS was, since CS basically ignored or did the opposite of any advice offered from INETPUB.

I do want to study it for awhile though and maybe get my bosses opinion. Topic structure is a new study area for me. My main area of expertise is usability (not CSS; that's newer to me; only about a year, hard core).

If I had the time, I would have set up my own forum... but my preferred host company only offers phpBB ($16/mo hosting) and I've heard too much about vBulletin being better, i.e., offering threads and more mods. So since I'm not ready to tackle anything on my own, I just plan to blend in here for now or a few years. <g>

If I were a millionaire with time on my hands, I'd start my own web forum, but then also a portal site for all the PHP former CS forums. Recreate the former expertise pool... I think it could be possible, but I just don't have the resources to try to start it.

Imagine if CS hadn't been so short sighted (AOL for that matter to) and accepted the fact the Internet changed the game... I hear AOL is trying to shift to more web-based now. If we had had PHP bbs 5 years ago, CS could have just shifted then instead of selling out to AOL and killing a vibrant community.

Hindsight is 20 20...

Old 08-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #26
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
Anne, have you tried reading the forum using standard vBulletin automated methods. It took me awhile to get used to them, but they are faster and easier than looking over the forum list for where I want to read, and quicker at getting to topics of primary interest. At least, for me they are.
What are the standard automated methods? I often miss replies when threads start getting past 20 replies or so...

I still miss CSNAV.

Dennis

Old 08-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #27
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
What are the standard automated methods? I often miss replies when threads start getting past 20 replies or so...
Try starting with this one. Except when I wrote that, I don't think I mentioned ending the session by using "Mark Forums Read." I've added that to my routine.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:27 PM   #28
Anne Wright

Ann, It is very nice that things here can change as needed without major upheavals! I am just so pleased that two of the most useful and friendly forums I visit are now together with better forum software than in places left unnamed.

This is great!
Anne
Old 08-24-2005, 10:30 PM   #29
Anne Wright

Andrew, I tried some of those methods back when you suggested them and I tried using the New Messages link in the main menu. But for me, working down the list of forum sections works best. For one thing, using some of the automated methods makes it harder to keep track of what section the message was posted in which can change the context somewhat. I like to keep track of sections, just a preference of mine.
Anne
Old 08-25-2005, 06:10 AM   #30
Daudio

Being new to this forum, I have been using the 'New Posts' item in the menu. It is working pretty well for me after catching up a bit.

I don't have to 'Mark as Read', since the software (cookies ?) keeps track very well as best as I can see, and better then other furums I use. the only thing I would like is to have the web sections grouped together, but that is not that big a deal, and probably hard to implement.

So far I like the Linear mode and have new posts on top. We'll see how well this method works down the road...

Dave
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote