DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 08-23-2005, 04:29 AM   #1
LoisWakeman
Staff

Default A Firefox bug, not in IE6!

Well, I had to find one one day! I've been making a page for an Open Studio I am hosting, and used empty anchors <a name="blah" id="blah /> in the page. IE shows them correctly, but FF, although it actions them, shows the hover colour on the blocks following the in-page link list, as if they weren't closed properly. Just thought you might like to know.

(You can see what I'm on about at http://lois.co.uk/NineDaysofArt/ - the camel case is to stop the unfortunate juxtaposition not spotted by whoever dreamed up the name!)
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:57 AM   #2
dthomsen8

Default Firefox Bug Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman
Well, I had to find one one day! I've been making a page for an Open Studio I am hosting, and used empty anchors <a name="blah" id="blah /> in the page. IE shows them correctly, but FF, although it actions them, shows the hover colour on the blocks following the in-page link list, as if they weren't closed properly. Just thought you might like to know.
Ah, but can you report this problem to the Firefox developers? They are far more likely to fix it promptly than the Microsoft (user deaf) developers.

Last edited by LoisWakeman; 08-23-2005 at 10:04 AM. Reason: quote codes fixed
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
LoisWakeman
Staff

Life is too short - I am up to my oxters in work of various kinds just now. As you say, I am sure they'd fix it.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman

(You can see what I'm on about at http://lois.co.uk/NineDaysofArt/ - the camel case is to stop the unfortunate juxtaposition not spotted by whoever dreamed up the name!)
Lois,

Try closing the tag with </a> instead of doing it self closing. It may validate your way on W3C, but I also test with the CSE validator also. I tried a test with a self-closing <a> tag and got the following error:
The "a" tag should be closed by using an end tag (like </a>). It should not be closed by adding a slash to the end of the tag (<a ... /> is not recommended). Note that this may be technically valid according to XML parsers and validators but it may not be technically valid according to the XHTML specification because all elements that are not declared as EMPTY must have an end tag. In any case, it is highly recommended that you use an end tag for backward compatibility. Even newer browser such as Internet Explorer 6.0 may have problems displaying your page correctly if you do not use a separate end tag.
I'm guessing it is not a bug in FireFox. FireFox just doesn't see the <a> tag closing so is using the hover attribute on the text following the open <a> tag. It's more likely IE is reading the code incorrectly. But isn't that usually the case? ;>

Old 08-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
dthomsen8

Default Oxter

"OXTER
This word is Anglo-Saxon in origin and means armpit. If a rugby match on TV shows a particularly muddy field, the players could be described as ''up to the oxters in mud''. In fact, if you're ''up to the oxters'' in anything, it means you're deep in it - whether it is water, mud or work!
If your new shirt is tight under the oxters, you should have bought one with more room in the armpits!"

Oh, the new terms I learn by being in this forum with the English and the Aussies! Definition above provided by Googling OXTERS for the benefit of Americans.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
"OXTER … Oh, the new terms I learn by being in this forum with the English and the Aussies! Definition above provided by Googling OXTERS for the benefit of Americans.
Thanks for doing that. I wondered what Lois meant, then decided the general meaning was obvious (if the derivation was not), but it is nice to have it properly defined.