DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 08-17-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Acrobat Security Advisory

A weakness in Acrobat might allow a malicious PDF file to execute code. Adobe has updates to deal with this.
Adobe's Advisory
Secunia's Advisory
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Well that sure was a pita and a half!

If you try and d/l the latest Reader version, only 7.0 is available so you *have* to download updates 7.01, 7.02 and 7.03 and then install them in sequence...

UGH!!!

Terrie

PS...thanks for the heads up...'-}}
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:55 PM   #3
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

you *have* to download updates 7.01, 7.02 and 7.03

Don't you just accept Adobe's updates as they come? It's far better to, and possibly you already have 7.02. (They never tell you what the update is supposed to do though.)

Old 08-17-2005, 03:35 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

>>michael: Don't you just accept Adobe's updates as they come?

Nope...never, ever...it's just a personality quirk...I don't like automatic updates...I'm a do-it-yourself-make-it-as-difficult-for-yourself-as-possible person...'-}}

>>and possibly you already have 7.02.

No I didn't and the thing that was weird (as far as I'm concerned) is that I'd just d/l'd Reader about 3 days ago and installed it so I thought initially that it would be the most current version--sans this latest 7.03 patch--and it wasn't because the 7.03 patch wouldn't install until I'd d/l'd and installed .01 and .02...

Terrie
Old 08-18-2005, 08:06 AM   #5
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

I'd just d/l'd Reader about 3 days ago and installed it so I thought initially that it would be the most current version

They never are up to date, but Adobe notifies you if there are patches and asks you if you want to update. A. doesn't seem as slick as Microsoft, but then that has had more practice.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

but Adobe notifies you if there are patches

Well, it does eventually: on opening Acrobat 7 and choosing 'Check for updates', it tells me 'There is no update at this time'. Apparently Adobe is like Ms Kitt's Englishman, who takes his . . . time.

I've now downloaded Acrobat 7.0.3, though I don't know what an overrun is or why some villains are waiting to pounce if it happens.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

>>michael: They never are up to date, but Adobe notifies you if there are patches and asks you if you want to update.

I've got the notify turned off too...'-}}

Thanks...

Terrie
Old 08-18-2005, 02:39 PM   #8
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

I've got the notify turned off too

Perverse woman! Actually, I didn't mean 'you' literally, but 'one' (if one doesn't disdain notification).

Old 08-19-2005, 12:25 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

>>michael: Perverse woman! Actually, I didn't mean 'you' literally, but 'one' (if one doesn't disdain notification).

LOL!!! Got it...

I think one of the reasons that I don't like auto updating is that I worry about an update being done behind my back and then having system problems. If I apply updates manually, then *I'm* in control and aware of exactly what was done and if I have a problem afterwards I can at least narrow down the cause.

For example, I upgraded ZoneAlarm last week and then my shutdown time began to become longer and longer. On checking Event Viewer, I found an error (USERENV). Never having had that before, I suspected the new version of ZoneAlarm and sure enough that was the culprit. I uninstalled the new version and reinstalled the older version and have had no problems since.

Browsing round the ZoneAlarm forums afterwards, I discovered that others have had the problem and the recommended solution was to download UPHCLEAN from Microsoft.

However, Microsoft won't let you do the download until you run through it's validation system--determining that your copy of Windows is valid. While validation is NOT activation (which I'm philosophically opposed to), it just pisses me off. I paid for my software, I registered it, and I'm *not* a thief and don't like the implication that I am. Of course the other thing is that I'd bet that the validation would not have proceeded from Netscape and that I'd have to being using IE which I *loathe*.

Sorry...I'm beginning to foam at the mouth...'-}}

Terrie
Old 08-19-2005, 03:17 PM   #10
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

I worry about an update being done behind my back and then having system problems

Not being a computer expert, I don't know how it functions anyway, but Adobe's 0.x update's are unlikely to upset anyone's system. The same cannot be said of its upgrades: when I switch off InternetExplorer I invariably get an Adobe error message to tell me that some Adobe file that I installed with Acrobat 7 hasn't worked. The file with the same name was installed with Acrobat 6.

I upgraded ZoneAlarm last week

When ZA asked you to? I did the same, and apart from being even more officious than ever, it's not giving me any trouble—but I don't look at things in Event Viewer, which is possibly why I can sleep so well.

Microsoft won't let you do the download until you run through it's validation system

I've read about that, but haven't experienced it, possibly because a bundle of downloads for Windows is downloaded to my computer once a month, and I'm only asked if I'm ready to install them. I worry only when things don't work.