DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 08-16-2005, 10:49 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Dreamweaver advantages?

I have tried to learn to use Dreamweaver, but always give up in frustration because it seems to do stuff behind my back and to have a set of unstated rules that it adheres to absolutely. (Of course, my last version was 4.0 and I suppose it has advanced since then!)

In theory, it would be fabulously useful for me. (Right now I do everything by hand, using CSS and XHTML 1 Strict — and I wouldn’t have missed learning all that for the world — but it does take a lot of time sometimes.) And I understand that DW would help me manage the site files, FTPing, and so on, which would be extremely useful.

So — can someone(s) give me a succinct user-oriented summary of DW’s virtues? It may be time to try again.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

Dreamweaver is at its best and most effective when being used to create and manage a large number of sites, and especially dynamic sites. Version 4 is from a long time ago - there are a wealth of changes from that version, CSS was introduced with MX and further improved in MX2004. The new version, which I will try out next month, appears to have greatly ehanced CSS editing. As it is my main development tool I may continue to follow the regular upgrade path!

I have never used the remote site management features of DW, as I have always kept faith with WS_FTP Pro to handle file transfers, file permission setting etc.

Nothing wrong with hand coding, although you could speed up the process with Nvu (also available for Linux & Macs) and for Windows only, Topstyle lite (all free) - or NoteTab Pro. DW is expensive, so if you really want to giv it a go, make sure that you will be able to devote some time to it and download the 30 day trial version when it becomes available.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
Dreamweaver is at its best and most effective when being used to create and manage a large number of sites, and especially dynamic sites. …

Nothing wrong with hand coding, although you could speed up the process with Nvu … DW is expensive, so if you really want to giv it a go, make sure that you will be able to devote some time to it and download the 30 day trial version when it becomes available.
Thanks. I have been meaning to try out Nvu (who makes up these not-so-catchy names, I wonder?). Since I have an old version of DW, I can upgrade to MX2004 or wait for the next release and its better CSS support.

Good idea about downloading the tryout, though; should tell me something about how the software has improved. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Kathleen,

Between me and Kelvyn, we can probably answer all your Dreamweaver questions.

I generally keep all the code re-writing options turned OFF. I do allow DW to fix invalidly nested tags and to remove redundant tags, but you can even turn that off.
At home, I use the FTP in Dreamweaver all the time but as a stand alone developer, I've never tried the options for checking in and out, etc. But it's wonderful for site management and templates. My work environment is too large to take advantage of the template feature, but I tried it on one of my candidate sites...

I did a total redesign on the site a couple years ago; the client was asking for so many tweaks that I left the templates attached to the files (it's all in <!--comments--> so doens't effect validating). The client is up for re-election this year and I've learned so much, I wanted to update the site using XHTML and more advanced CSS. Once I had my template ready, I updated the ENTIRE site in about 30 seconds. (couple dozen files)

Topstyle lite is a handy little program, but missing a few features I'd like to have (scrolling and search, mostly...you have to buy the full program for that.) What I see as the main advantage is that HomeSite is bundled with DW. I have Ctrl-E programmed in both programs to open the current file in the other program and go back and forth all day, depending on what I want to do.

It's well worth the effort to learn.

Dennis

Old 08-16-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
What I see as the main advantage is that HomeSite is bundled with DW. I have Ctrl-E programmed in both programs to open the current file in the other program and go back and forth all day, depending on what I want to do.

It's well worth the effort to learn.
The Mac version of Dreamweaver uses BBEdit in that way. You've heard KT and me raving about BBEdit, which is the editor we both currently use for coding web pages.

I did my first web sites with GoLive Cyberstudio, which was later purchased by Adobe and became Adobe GoLive. Then I tried Dreamweaver, but hated the way it interfered with my HTML. However, as Kelvyn says, later versions of Dreamweaver are much better. The first version I tried kept nuking all my CDML tags necessary for integration with FileMaker Pro.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Between me and Kelvyn, we can probably answer all your Dreamweaver questions.
I am counting on it! Thanks.

I just went over to look into downloading the current DW to see how it works. Wonder when they plan to ship v.8 — may as well wait to update to that one, assuming I like it well enough and they release it soon enough!

Old 08-16-2005, 02:03 PM   #7
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
So — can someone(s) give me a succinct user-oriented summary of DW’s virtues? It may be time to try again.
Kathleen,

I can't give you a summary of DW's virtues because it doesn't have any. I think maybe it is for certain personality types, but if you don't have that personality, forget about it. Nevertheless, people who use DW seem to be entirely normal. But, using DW cannot be considered a normal experience in life. Ehh--just forget about it. It's not really good for anything. These other guys just think it is for some reason that is mysterious. I think it's better to spend more time studying graphics. That's really useful. DW just wants you to make a web page without really understanding what you did. Oh well.

Regards,

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #8
dacoyle

Kathleen,

The release date is August 30.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
dacoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Kathleen,

I can't give you a summary of DW's virtues because it doesn't have any. I think maybe it is for certain personality types, but if you don't have that personality, forget about it. Nevertheless, people who use DW seem to be entirely normal. But, using DW cannot be considered a normal experience in life. Ehh--just forget about it. It's not really good for anything. These other guys just think it is for some reason that is mysterious. I think it's better to spend more time studying graphics. That's really useful. DW just wants you to make a web page without really understanding what you did. Oh well.

Regards,

George
Rather too broad a statement, IMHO. Dreamweaver is one of the most popular editors on the market, and for good reason. But it's a very powerful tool. Too powerful if you don't know HTML. It's definetly a professional's tool and can be too much for the casual user.

Old 08-16-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
The release date is August 30.
Aha! I think I can wait that long. (At my age, the time will pass before I know it! <g>).

Thanks.