DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 08-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
Michael Rowley

Default Mock-up of Netzblatt

I've done a revised mock-up of the proposed new Netzblatt (a quarterly, circulation ca 250) and attach it for your comments, suggestions for improvement etc.

The format is A4, the printed area 175 mm × 246 mm, and the text 11.5/14 pt Minion Pro.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Netzbla2.pdf (310.5 KB, 140 views)

Old 08-13-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
TheGraphicsReport

Very nice Michael,
Three suggestions

If this will be seen in PDF, I would keep the left and right margins the same on every page. I realize that you adjust them for printing, but it may be worth re-formatting the edges for a PDF.

There are too many hyphens for my taste, I would suggest some manual kerning to reduce these.

Lastly I personally would like to see the copyright line in the same small size as the inset about the auditing.

Best wishes,

John
TheGraphicsReport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:18 PM   #3
Michael Rowley

John:

Thank you for your comments.

I agree about centring the pages for on-line viewing. The folios should also be central for that too.

The present text on pages 1 & 2 is just made up of snippets I had to hand, so I didn't bother about kerning or hyphenation. But I suggest you are a bit over-sensitive about hyphens anyway!

the inset about the auditing

What inset about auditing? There is none. Even if we sought advertising (as we won't), circulation audits are not usual in a magazine that has a very specialized readership. We haven't got an ISSN either. But you may have been referring to the publication details in PC Graphics Report; I have yet to put those in Netzblatt, though I ought to do so, and might shamelessly copy your layout.

Old 08-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
TheGraphicsReport

The inset about auditing was referring to the size of the text in the quote you had in your editorial which was about auditing your accounts. I was trying to suggest that this was a good font size for your copyright info. Nothing more.
We have an ISSN number only because it allows us to sell subscriptions to libraries through EBSCO.

Best wishes
John
TheGraphicsReport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:22 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

John:

the size of the text in the quote you had in your editorial

Oh, that! The text is mostly nonsense, or rather not coherent, since I was not at all careful in filling up the space. Part is Adobe's description of the use of Minion Pro Opticals (the only Optical's I've got) and part is from an article that will appear next month in a different publication; it happened to contain a quotation from the UK Companies Act, and although I wouldn't ordinarily drop the size by 3.5 points, it gave me a chance to use Minion Pro Caption, which is recommended for below 8.5 points. The photo, by the way, is of my youngest daughter and a friend.

If I had the copyright line in 8 pt Minion Pro, I should not want to use small capitals, which are not too prominent in 11.5 pt as it is.

it allows us to sell subscriptions to libraries through EBSCO

EBSCO doesn't have a branch in the UK: I wonder why that is—probably because someone else has the market nicely wrapped up.