DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 08-14-2005, 07:24 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Effect of site design on men vs women

A Welsh business school reports that men and women respond differently not just to the subject or content of web sites but to their appearance.

According to a recent study at Glamorgan University Business School, women prefer pages with more color and informal pictures; men prefer dark colors and horizontal lines, and like 3D effects and non-stationary objects.

Are we surprised?

[Read the whole AP article]

Old 08-14-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
Michael Rowley

KT:

I'd say that the Glamorgan Business School is talking nonsense: it puts up a hypothesis plucked out of the air, leading to:

'the researchers checked out the Web sites for 32 British universities and determined that 94 percent had a "masculine orientation.'' Two percent showed a female-favored arrangement.'

Of course 94% of British universtities had sites with pages that were easily readable, & that meant excluding dark coloured backgrounds. But British universities have staff & students that are not predominately male.

Old 08-14-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Kathleen

More important than "liking or disliking" a site is how effectively it sells the product or service. Here, colour is a very important issue. There have been many studies on the psychology of colour and how colour subtlety can set the right mood, but I do not remember mention of 3d effects helping to make a sale! I'll not risk trying it on my clients' sites either..... unless theyare selling pyramids....

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
Molly/CA

Jeez. Who do you know that likes things jumping around on a page they're trying to read? Maybe we should take a survey here.

BTW, in Mozilla you can right-click on those enraging Flash ads and at least get them to quit jumping around.
Molly/CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly/CA
Jeez. Who do you know that likes things jumping around on a page they're trying to read?
Not me. I keep Post-It notes around to cover banner ads that have moving parts. If the page doesn’t have some compelling reason to be seen, I just leave.

Old 08-22-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Daudio

Quote:
I keep Post-It notes around to cover banner ads that have moving parts.
Great idea. Some of them flash so much I can't think, and scroll it off or Back off the page in a great hurry. TV ads and promos do that to me more and more too.

On a related note, I have seen some ads on cNet (IBM, I think) that used a very subtle movement in them. You usually didn't notice the movement, it was so slight, just enough to grap your subconcious attention, but not annoy. The movement was in slight changes in a persons head position or expression. Something that we humans are very sensitive to.

I was very impressed with the sublety and effectiveness of that kind of animation to capture attention, and eliminate the negitive effects of most moving ads, by understanding more psychology, and less Flash.

Less Is More !!

Dave
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Quite right, Molly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly/CA
Jeez. Who do you know that likes things jumping around on a page they're trying to read? Maybe we should take a survey here.

BTW, in Mozilla you can right-click on those enraging Flash ads and at least get them to quit jumping around.
In Firefox, I have Flash turned off. Only if I really want to see a site, and that site forces me to go through Flash, will I switch to IE, where I do have Flash turned on.

Beyond that, nothing is quite so annoying as banner ads that flash or run on and on. No sale for me there.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:23 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio
Less Is More !!
Very often true!!