DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 08-10-2005, 07:45 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Oh-oh — FreeHand in peril?

According to a C|Net story noted in Macintouch this morning, Macromedia will drop FreeHand from its “upcoming” Studio 8 suite. According to the short article, which quotes Builder AU in Sydney:
Macromedia executives cited “extensive research with our customers” as the reason behind the decision, and not its impending acquisition by Adobe Systems …

A Macromedia representative said FreeHand will be sold and supported as a standalone product for the time being. …

“FreeHand was replaced by the addition of Contribute and FlashPaper to better fulfill the typical design-develop-maintain workflow needs of our customers,” John Biviano, Macromedia Australia managing director, told Builder AU in an e-mail interview.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Yep, looks like it's about to bid us adieu. Excellent app, but through the years it's Illustrator that I've used 95% of the time, even though I've had both installed. I think the last time I tended to use FH over AI was back before AI had layers, so that was a long long time ago.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:42 PM   #3
marlene
Staff

Bummer. I always preferred FreeHand over Illustrator, and only allowed myself to be dragged to Illustrator (kicking and screaming) because I was getting so many AI files (some of which FH couldn't open).

I still think FH is more logical. It was certainly easier for me to learn than AI (which I am still trying to learn).

<sulk>

I'm not surprised, though. Look what happened to PhotoStyler and the Ares apps.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Yep, looks like it's about to bid us adieu. Excellent app, but through the years it's Illustrator that I've used 95% of the time, even though I've had both installed. I think the last time I tended to use FH over AI was back before AI had layers, so that was a long long time ago.
I had a brief play with AI around the end of 1987, when Illustrator 88 came out. It did nothing for me then, because I didn't like having to work in wireframe mode.

A friend lent me a copy of FreeHand soon afterwards on condition that I remove it from my machine after I tried it (we did a lot of that in those days, because these apps were expensive, and there were no demo versions). I found that FreeHand suited the way I worked, and have been using it ever since.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:24 AM   #5
Mike
Staff

Inevitable, I guess. Personally I would have preferred them to ditch Illustrator in favour of FH. On the occasions I've used Illustrator I've never found it intuitive and have always felt I've been battling against an obscure user interface.

Still, I guess it's me that's out of step with most of the rest of the world (as usual).

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:28 AM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Inevitable, I guess. Personally I would have preferred them to ditch Illustrator in favour of FH. On the occasions I've used Illustrator I've never found it intuitive and have always felt I've been battling against an obscure user interface.

Still, I guess it's me that's out of step with most of the rest of the world (as usual).
I hear you, brother! Story of my life.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:21 AM   #7
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
Bummer. I always preferred FreeHand over Illustrator, and only allowed myself to be dragged to Illustrator (kicking and screaming) because I was getting so many AI files (some of which FH couldn't open).

I still think FH is more logical. It was certainly easier for me to learn than AI (which I am still trying to learn).

<sulk>
That's just about word for word what I've heard from other longtime Freehand fans. You're not alone in sulking, I'm sure.

Last I heard (several years back, admittedly), Freehand was the standard drawing app for the newspaper pros.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:33 AM   #8
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

First Mac app I ever used was Illustrator 1. I got the hang of vector drawing very fast, but when Freehand 1 was announced, I couldn't wait to try it. Got it and switched to that, because it could do things AI couldn't. All that was on my typesetter's Mac II while I was helping him set up the first service bureau in eastern L.A. County. When I got my own system a year later, I'd switch back and forth between the two apps as their features leapfrogged each other over the years, but whenever faced with particularly challenging vector drawing I defaulted to AI. AI's way of manipulating points and segments seemed more logical and the results more predictable to my brain.

I'm probably fine in not worrying about old FH files, but still wonder if they'll have some way to crack them open in future AI versions. There are a couple in my oldest archives that might be nice to get into if I want to sometime.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:55 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Last I heard (several years back, admittedly), Freehand was the standard drawing app for the newspaper pros.
And map-makers.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:36 AM   #10
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
And map-makers.
Oo! Yes, forgot about them. I bet they're really sulking.