DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 02-05-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default What is a CWK file?

I assume it is a Mac format of some sort? AppleWorks? Somebody sent me a couple of flyers in CWK format and I'm wondering if whatever program created it could save the files out as PDF or some other cross-platform file type. I also have no idea if this person will have any idea what I'm talking about, which is why I first looked into some way I could get them converted myself - but it seems I'd need either a Mac or $70 conversion software, neither of which I'm likely to acquire any time soon! So ... what should I ask her to try before I just have her snail mail me printed copies?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
I assume it is a Mac format of some sort? AppleWorks? Somebody sent me a couple of flyers in CWK format and I'm wondering if whatever program created it could save the files out as PDF or some other cross-platform file type. I also have no idea if this person will have any idea what I'm talking about, which is why I first looked into some way I could get them converted myself - but it seems I'd need either a Mac or $70 conversion software, neither of which I'm likely to acquire any time soon! So ... what should I ask her to try before I just have her snail mail me printed copies?
If it has an extension of .cwk, it's probably a Windows ClarisWorks file. This should be readable by AppleWorks Mac, so I suggest you ask over in the Mac Support forum on CompuServe (ws-macsupport) for someone to do the conversion for you. Bill Boyd has AppleWorks, and is very hepful.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:18 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

If Ann's right, I may be able to open it. AppleWorks came with the iBook iGot here.

If you want to email it along to steve@rdpslides.com (same as ever) I'll have a go.

Claims to be able to save word procesing docs as text, rtf, several MS Word flavors and html.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 11:09 PM   #4
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
If Ann's right, I may be able to open it. AppleWorks came with the iBook iGot here.

If you want to email it along to steve@rdpslides.com (same as ever) I'll have a go.

Claims to be able to save word procesing docs as text, rtf, several MS Word flavors and html.
Coming to an e-mail box near you. If you can't do anything with them, so be it - but thanks for trying! I wonder how ugly they are? =:-o I always prepare for the worst so that perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised....

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:45 AM   #5
jjgraphics

The .cwk file extension is used by AppleWorks (formerly Claris Works. AppleWorks and Word should be able to open these files.

JJ
jjgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote