DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 07-27-2005, 02:23 AM   #1
Mike
Staff

Default Scan to print

Well, it seems I've finally decided to buy an Epson Stylus Pro 4800 but it strikes me that my cheapo A4 scanner (HP scanjet 4600) isn't going to be a great deal of use in produce high-quality scans of paintings.

The reason for getting a new printer/scanner combination is for producing limited edition prints of artwork.

So I've started looking around for a new scanner. The only one I've found so far within my price range that looks suitable is the Epson Expression 10000XL.

Does anyone know anything about this scanner or whether there are others I should be considering that are, preferably, cheaper and better?

PS. I've also found the Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL on the web. It's cheaper but I had a Microtek film scanner once and swore I'd never buy another Microtek product.

www.welshframing.com

Last edited by Mike; 07-27-2005 at 04:09 AM.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:29 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

Way cool on the 4800! Make sure that when it's delivered that they send 2 delivery people as I'm sure it's at least as heavy as my 4000--shipping weight of 127lbs if I'm remembering correctly...the 4000 is about 80lbs or so when unpacked. Mine came on a wooden pallet and we took that off before the UPS guys (2 of them) kindly brought it into my den...then my next door neighbor helped me get it unpacked and put onto the table...

Why are you looking at the Epson 1000xl? Is it for the large scanning bed? If that's not why, then take a look at the 4990...I have an Epson 2450 and I'm quite pleased with it...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Why are you looking at the Epson 1000xl? Is it for the large scanning bed? If that's not why, then take a look at the 4990...I have an Epson 2450 and I'm quite pleased with it...
Yes, it's mainly because of the large scanning bed -- artists have a habit of using large pieces of paper or canvas. At least with the 1000XL I'd be able to scan anything up to 12 x 17. It would be ideal to be able to scan anything as large as the 4800 will print but that would be totally uneconomic.

www.welshframing.com
Old 07-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
donmcc

I've also sworn off Microtek for abysmal customer service.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Don McCahill
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

I had a Microtek for many many years and it just kept ticking, but customer service got worse and worse whenever I called (rarely, I must say) with a question about software updates. When I got the scanner, theirs were the cream of the crop, but eventually Epson scanners came along and I knew many happy Epson users while Microtek users got increasingly grumpy. When I bought all new equipment last year I didn't consider buying anything but Epson for printers and my scanner.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

>>mike: Yes, it's mainly because of the large scanning bed -- artists have a habit of using large pieces of paper or canvas. At least with the 1000XL I'd be able to scan anything up to 12 x 17.

Yeah...that's what I figured but one thing I might be thinking about would be do you have a feel for how often you might be scanning larger than 11x17 and if so, you're going to have to do multiple scans and paste things together anyway so maybe the 11x17 bed really isn't going to buy you that much--except perhaps, fewer pieces to paste together--for the difference in the cost of the scanner...

Additionally...what might you buy yourself if you photographed the artwork rather than scanning? This is an area I don't really know much about but I know that it can be very complicated...not sure if it's more complicated than scanning mulitple times...

>> It would be ideal to be able to scan anything as large as the 4800 will print but that would be totally uneconomic.

ROFL!!! Indeed...

When will the 4800 arrive? Where are you putting it? I was in a dither about what to put my 4000 on and I was lying in bed on night and it occurred to me that my dinning room table might just fit nicely in my den--the table is very sturdy--and so I got up and got a tape measure and sure enough...it would fit.

Never used the table except to hold mounds of odds and ends anyway so it was put to good use...

You might want to take a look at this post from the Yahoo 4000 group...I imagine that the 4800 is pretty much the same size as the 4000 and this is an excellent post on unpacking and getting the printer set up with good specs on the printer's footprint...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
Mike
Staff

Thanks for the URL, Terrie. I'm just off to bed. The printer should arrive tomorrow. I'll be out all day so Audrey will have to carry it in. <g>

I'll reply at more length over the week-end.

www.welshframing.com
Old 07-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I'll be out all day so Audrey will have to carry it in.
You are such a gent!

Be sure to ask Audrey if she needs to join our feminists’ league, will you? <g>

Old 07-29-2005, 10:28 AM   #9
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
You are such a gent!

Be sure to ask Audrey if she needs to join our feminists’ league, will you? <g>
She says could she have an application form please. ;-)

In the event, I set up a heavy duty trolley and the lorry drive loaded the printer onto the trolley and wheeled it into the conservatory. Audrey only had the open the doors, keep the dogs at bay and sign the delivery note.

I'd set up a desk in the office for the printer but we couldn't get it upstairs. It's big! So it's now sitting in the picture framing workshop waiting till I can sort it out next week. I have to clear some space and built a bench to keep it on.

In many ways it will make more sense to keep it in the workshop as I have facilities for storing large sheets of paper there, the workshop is lit with daylight tubes, and that's where I be when I discuss framing options and so on with artists.

Unfortunately I have a horrendous set of proof corrections that must be completed by Tuesday (the author rewrote loads of it when she saw what a mess the translator had made of it) and on Tuesday eight tons of gravel are arriving (which I'll have to spread over the front yard. So it looks like it will be Thursday or Friday before I can start building the table for the printer.

This morning I went to a meeting hosted by a development agency to discuss ecommerce and how it can help your business. That was because I'm now involved in setting up a website to promote and sell the work of Welsh artists. That should fit in well with my fine art printing and picture framing activities. A colleague and I spent the afternoon at a country hotel talking with the manager and arranging an art exhibition to coincide with the launch of the website next April.

And to think, I thought that once I left the University I'd be spending the time roaming the Welsh hills taking photographs. Life always seems to take unexpected turns.

www.welshframing.com
Old 07-29-2005, 10:54 AM   #10
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Yeah...that's what I figured but one thing I might be thinking about would be do you have a feel for how often you might be scanning larger than 11x17 and if so, you're going to have to do multiple scans and paste things together anyway so maybe the 11x17 bed really isn't going to buy you that much--except perhaps, fewer pieces to paste together--for the difference in the cost of the scanner...

Additionally...what might you buy yourself if you photographed the artwork rather than scanning? This is an area I don't really know much about but I know that it can be very complicated...not sure if it's more complicated than scanning mulitple times...
Having an 11 x 17 scanner will certainly save some time over stitching multiple small scans. Of the picture framing I've done so far my experience is that most artists' originals are larger than A4 but less than A3. The scanner I have at the moment is only A4-size and isn't particulalrly good quality.

I had thought about photographing artwork but my Nikon D70 is only 6 megapixels which is OK for A3 but is going to be rather limited for anything larger. There's also, I think, likely to be a problem in ensuring accurate colour rendition using a camera compared to a high-quality scanner -- at least, I hope it's a high quality scanner as it cost over $3000!

I've also bought a Spyder2 thing for calibrating my screen. I'm planning on using my Powerbook for doing the work but I'm not sure if an LCD screen will prove suitable. It may be that I'll have to resurrect my old LaCie monitor that's being stored in the shower room.

Quote:
When will the 4800 arrive? Where are you putting it? I was in a dither about what to put my 4000 on and I was lying in bed on night and it occurred to me that my dinning room table might just fit nicely in my den--the table is very sturdy--and so I got up and got a tape measure and sure enough...it would fit.
As you'll see from my reply to Kathleen, it arrived this morning. It wouldn't go up the stairs so it's living in the workshop.

I've ordered the scanner but it seems that, after lengthy searching of the Internet and talking to a couple of suppliers, there isn't one available in the UK and I'll have to wait a week or two for it.

www.welshframing.com