DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing ā€” in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 07-25-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Quark XPress 7 - first look

New information about the upcoming Quark XPress 7. I was expecting to read a feature bolt-on list, but it appears to go much deeper.

http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/23190-1.html

Last edited by Andrew B.; 07-26-2005 at 06:25 AM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:53 PM   #2
John Spragens

I do wish reviewers would hold Quark's and Adobe's feet to the fire on product activation, though ...

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:21 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

And another article: http://www.digitmag.co.uk/features/i...FeatureID=1298
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #4
lefkoff

Default Won't get fooled again

I work in an Ad agency in which we have approx 20 people using Indesign and at least 3 different versions of Quark from version 4 to 6.5. None of us would ever willingly switch or even think of upgrading to version 7. Of all the Quark users in our building only half can print out of it... the other half can't make a PDF. Quark has let us down too many times. They simply don't get it.

What's the best feature of Indesign... its simple... it just works. It does what it says it will do and does it correctly the first time without me having to get our tech-guy every time I want to print or PDF something.
lefkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
I must say that this one seems to have been written largely from Quark press releases.

Gene Gable, who wrote the other article for CreativePro, is a lot more plausible.

I know Gene. He was a typesetter, and sets foundry type for pleasure. He was editor of Publish magazine when it had a big presence in the DTP world, and later director of Seybold Seminars.

I think his once-over of XPress 7 (even on brief acquaintance) is very useful. Iā€™m not sure his overall optimism is entirely warranted, but am sure it is based on real understanding of what layout programs do (or ought to do).

Just a passing thought.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
tphinney

It's a well-done article for the most part. It's also nice to see Quark embracing standards that Adobe has been pushing for years. Clearly QXP 7 will be a better competitor to InDesign than any previous version for quite a few years now. Competition is good for end users and good for the industry.

There's some inconsistency in the way the article is done. Sometimes he mentions when a feature is (or isn't) present in InDesign, but sometimes he covers features new to QXP without mentioning that they are already in InDesign. Most importantly, Gable's missing an important boat if he doesn't think pre-rasterized transparency is a problem, and some of his comments in this area simply don't make sense to me.

Regards,

T
tphinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphinney
Clearly QXP 7 will be a better competitor to InDesign than any previous version for quite a few years now.
Assuming it's not riddled with bugs. Quark's record on major updates -- something that, admittedly, they haven't done for a long time -- is not very good.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphinney
. Most importantly, Gable's missing an important boat if he doesn't think pre-rasterized transparency is a problem, and some of his comments in this area simply don't make sense to me.

Regards,

T
Would you, or someone, mind explaining what that means? I don't understand what pre-rasterized transparency means in layout to press, nor what the problem is. Sorry to be so ignorant.