DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 07-17-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Norman Hathaway

Default Cost and referral

Hey

I'm throwing together a budget for design training (and i mean THROWING) and wanted to know if anyone had an idea of what costs might be to have someone come in and give advanced InDesign training and Applescripting.
Need hourly and daily rates.

At this late date I'll even accept quasi-qualified guesses.

Any pointing to likely candidates will also be appreciated.

Thanks!

N
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
JABTE05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Hathaway
Hey

I'm throwing together a budget for design training (and i mean THROWING) and wanted to know if anyone had an idea of what costs might be to have someone come in and give advanced InDesign training and Applescripting.
Need hourly and daily rates.

Any pointing to likely candidates will also be appreciated.

Thanks!

N
Well I had someone come to my office for about three days, and I think the company paid around $1000. He taught me quark, illustrator, and photoshop. The guy's name is Brian Reese. Here's his website: www.intensebluestudio.com There are prices on more info there. He's in Freehold, NJ, but I'm sure he could help you find somewhere closer to you if that's too far. You could at least go to his site for a start.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
groucho
Staff

You're going to pick arbitrary numbers and then see who can meet them? Rather than looking for a trainer who impresses you as good, and then working with them?

Personally I think that's the wrong way to go. You might find someone working for $50/hour or $150/hour, equally competent--or not.<G> That's a hell of a range, and even wider because most folks will give you some break based on how much time you want. Five full days? Two evenings a week for month?

I think you're doing it backwards, so you might as well pick any number you like and write it up for that, since you'll be throwing out the estimate anyway. (Or, start by finding a trainer.<G>)
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
Norman Hathaway

now i see why they call you groucho!

if it were my call i would obviously not plan things in this way. in this case i was called upon to create a budget within 24 hours- of which this training was but a small portion.

but thanks for the advice.

n
Old 07-21-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Hathaway
I was recently at an InDesign conference in San Francisco. Among the speakers were a few big names--David Blatner, Olav Kvern, and Sandee Cohen--but there were others. Of the not-big-name speakers, I was impressed with Steve Warner (based in San Francisco) and Claudia McCue (based in Atlanta).

When it comes to scripting (especially for publishing) Ray Robertson (based in Atlanta) and Shane Stanley (based in Australia) are go-to guys. They put on scripting conferences--might be cheaper to send somebody(ies) to that.

If I knew exactly what you wanted the training to be about, I might come up with better suggestions.

--don

Old 07-22-2005, 04:04 AM   #6
Norman Hathaway

All solely to do with automating InDesign. Charts, Styling for documents, automatic InDesign document creation via database, creating mathematical equations (varying width square root symbols etc.), nested styles.

That kind of thing.

Thanks Don
Old 07-22-2005, 05:42 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy
Of the not-big-name speakers, I was impressed with Steve Warner (based in San Francisco) …
Steve has a pretty big name, too. An early service bureau whiz and PostScript maven; also in the group that worked with Adobe to change the numbering of Type 1 screen fonts to avoid conflicts (big project!); stalwart on Seybold panels for years. Not a show-off, though; maybe that’s why you didn’t recognize his name.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:20 AM   #8
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
maybe that’s why you didn’t recognize his name.
Oh, I recognized his name--from here. I've talked to Steve many times over the last 16 years. I know he is quite knowelegeble and experienced. He also was the training manager for Rapid--a large SF-based service bureau. I just didn't think he was famous.

--don

Old 07-22-2005, 09:22 AM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Steve has a pretty big name, too. An early service bureau whiz and PostScript maven; also in the group that worked with Adobe to change the numbering of Type 1 screen fonts to avoid conflicts (big project!); stalwart on Seybold panels for years. Not a show-off, though; maybe that’s why you didn’t recognize his name.
And, way back when, Steve Werner was a member of this very online community. I wonder if he knows how to find us now...