DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 07-14-2005, 07:30 AM   #1
JABTE05

Default What's This Font?

I can't figure out what font the attached uses. I went to that "What's The Font" site, but it didn't come back with anything similar. Can anyone figure it out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior_header.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	136  
Old 07-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #2
marlene
Staff

I think I've got it -- they mixed Balmoral caps with Amazone l/c letters.

Amazone's a Bitstream font, IIRC it's available elsewhere with a different name (the Bitstream was probably a knockoff).

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:41 AM   #3
JABTE05

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
I think I've got it -- they mixed Balmoral caps with Amazone l/c letters.

Amazone's a Bitstream font, IIRC it's available elsewhere with a different name (the Bitstream was probably a knockoff).

mxh
Yeah I think you're right. Actually, I had a card of theirs that I was looking at, and they even added another font on the card, which I thought looked a little weird. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Amazone is the original Amsterdam foundry name. It’s not very old (first released in 1959), and designed by Leonard H.D. Smit (according to Jaspert, Berry type enclopedia).

I think it is what they call a “ribbon” script. I’m pretty sure it is a common choice in wedding invitation catalogs, not sure by what name. It has pretty good links between the lowercase characters — more plausible looking than a lot of scripts I’ve seen. Maybe that’s why they chose it for the specimen shown in this thread.

Old 07-15-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
marlene
Staff

Why, that font is younger than we are! <g>

I've used Amazone (IIRC I had it on the Varityper -- if I weren't so lazy I'd go downstairs and dig out my Varityper font book) -- it does connect very well -- but I was never crazy about its caps. But I don't think I ever tried to pair it with another script's caps.

My version of Balmoral is a bad Image Club rendition -- I've used those scrolly caps, but don't recall ever using the lower-case letters, which I am not crazy about (maybe because it's a bad Image Club font).

I do love a good connecting script. A current favorite is P22's Corinthia, a thing of beauty. I ALMOST got to use it on a job -- a presentation folder -- and then the client decided to add their organization's acronym. <g>

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:33 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Why, that font is younger than we are! <g>
Most of the fonts in use today are younger than we are! (Sobering thought for the day.)

Quote:
I do love a good connecting script. A current favorite is P22's Corinthia, a thing of beauty. I ALMOST got to use it on a job -- a presentation folder -- and then the client decided to add their organization's acronym. <g>
Groan! Shoulda run the acronym in Arial Black as a background image — huge, screened back to about 10% — with the pretty script running across it!