DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Recovery media

I don't remember which computer this was, but awhile back I created recovery media on a thumb drive. When it came time for me to actually use it, the computer could not boot from the thumb drive. I have no idea what went wrong, but my new HP says I only get one chance to create recovery media. Is there any known way to make sure a thumb drive will work before using it to create the media. I'm tempted to use DVDs and be done with it.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: the computer could not boot from the thumb drive.
I don't know a lot about this but, a couple of different dslreports forums have had threads about this sort of thing--I'll try and find the specific threads--and apparently, using USB3 ports for the thumbdrive in this scenario is problematic but if you'd plugged the thumbdrive into a USB2 port, the system would have recognized the drive and you would have been able to proceed.

It should be easy enough to test if, of course, the system has at least one USB2 port. Create the recovery on the thumbdrive and then reboot the system with the thumbdrive plugged in and see what happens.

If there are no USB2 ports on the system, I wonder if you plugged in a USB2 hub into the USB3 port on the sytem and then plugged the thumbdrive into the USB2 hub if that might work?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I think that HP's One effort means making HP specific recovery media to restore their machine back to ex-factory condition which loses you all data, applications and personalization.

I use Macrium Reflect and make images from time to time and these will restore your system to how it was when you made the last image -- ie complete with all your personal stuff. Of course if you make one when you get the machine then that may be the same as the HP one .... or it may not!

Yes you absolutely need to check restoring the image from time to time, at intervals depending on the value of losing what had not been stored. Which would I indicate make a current image immediately before you try to restore it.

I'm not experienced on this bit because I always make a complete image of the system drive but there are two progressive methods which either make one further additional image of what is not on the first image and another where every new store creates a new smaller file and you have to restore them all to get any restore. So if one file is corrupt you can't restore anything.

However I limit my system drive to about 200GB and have plenty of external storage. My laptop is a hybrid with only 64GB of eMMC storage so again I do complete images to a 128GB thumbdrive I have.

Hope that helps.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
I think that HP's One effort means making HP specific recovery media to restore their machine back to ex-factory condition which loses you all data, applications and personalization.
Yes, that is the one that bombed on me before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
I use Macrium Reflect and make images from time to time and these will restore your system to how it was when you made the last image -- ie complete with all your personal stuff. Of course if you make one when you get the machine then that may be the same as the HP one .... or it may not!
Can an image restore be launched independently from a DVD or external drive. IOW, can it work without Windows or anything else on the hard drive?

Old 03-09-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Can an image restore be launched independently from a DVD or external drive. IOW, can it work without Windows or anything else on the hard drive?
Hugh will be able to give you a definitive answer since he uses Macrium Reflect but, from what I have read, the answer is a qualified yes--not only with Macrium Reflect but also from other clone/drive image/backup software (Acronis and others).

The qualification has to do with choosing the correct settings in the clone/drive image/backup software so that the proper files to allow the system to run "independently" while restoring from the clone/drive image/backup are copied to the media used in the clone/drive image/backup.

I don't know what those files are or exactly how it is done but I know that it is possible and (supposedly) not difficult to get set up properly...'-}}

Terrie
Old 03-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Can an image restore be launched independently from a DVD or external drive. IOW, can it work without Windows or anything else on the hard drive?
Yes if you made it properly with the O/S on the media. Macrium now uses a version of WinPE which when you boot to it looks very much like Windows.

So you need a bootable recovery disk/thumbdrive made through your installation of Macrium Reflect. Under Tools IIRC.

And then access to your image. Which means not on a drive that my disappear if the main drive crashes.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

See...I knew Hugh knew...'-}}

Terrie
Old 03-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

If only .....

Hugh