DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 02-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Figure U.S. postage rate?

There is a postage calculator at usps.gov and I don't believe the prices it comes up with. Not to mention that all it tells me are business or retail prices. And
I previously went to an official site and found a rate sheet (not an automated calculator) that come up with much lower prices. But now I can't find it.

I want to mail bubble envelop that's approximately 9 1/2 inches and weighs 1.5 ounces. The object inside is about 1/2 inch thick and approx 1 inch by 2 inches.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I use usps.gov pretty often. The trick with calculating postage is not only the dimensions of the package and the weight but where is it going (and from whence did it originate)? If you give me the originating zip code and the receiving zip code, I'll plug that in along with the other info you posted and see what I get.

One thing when you get the usps.gov results is that sometimes it displays just "Express"/"Overnight" options and you have to click on a "Show All"--sometimes it does display all the options--express, priority mail, 1st class, etc. but I always double check...

I try to use the USPS priority mail envelopes and boxes for mailing stuff because it's the easiest as you don't have to weigh or measure the package--I do have my own scale (weighs up to 35lbs), it's great to have and it wasn't too pricey at $20-$25.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Shape and thickness enter into the calculated price too.

I know what you mean since I've had to dig deep on what used to be an easy to use tool.

Priority boxes and envelopes, including a very large one that I got from a counter clerk once as cheaper than the box I was using. He said they only got them every three months and they disappear rapidly.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks, Terrie. My head has been spinning. I have a bunch of DVDs I'm mailing out in those plastic bubble wrap self-sealing envelops. They way 3.4 oz. each. I cannot send them a media mail rate because that obligates me to walk into the post office and stand in line, which is physically too taxing for me. So I planned to send them as regular packages. The price I found was not zone-based. And it was $3.00 each. And they are sitting here ready to go. But I thought I should double check. And I cannot find that price again.

But I just found this: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c096 by linking in via this: https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm100/dmm100.pdf

Which I found by linking from this: https://pe.usps.com

At the first link, scroll down to where is says "Quick Reference—Domestic" Maybe the price went up and it is now $3.50. But using that automated gizmo on the UPSP site gets no where near this low.

My caregiver comes tomorrow and maybe I'll just give him one of the packages so he can stand in line in the post office and ask them how much it costs to mail from Los Angeles to Los Angeles.

One thing that might get confusing is I'm not a commercial or a non-profit. I'm just a guy who wants to mail out a lot of DVDs to organization in an effort to educate them.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

It looks like you can order priority mail shipping boxes/envelopes etc online and have them delivered:

https://store.usps.com/store/results...ies/_/N-alnx4j

I don't know what the delivery charges are, if any, but it's worth checking out, especially if your local PO runs out.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

Just an additional point. I'm mailing DVDs. There are 38 of them. I already packed them in bubble envelops. There is $3.00 dollars worth of stamps on every one. IOW, I already have money and labor sunk into this. So changing over to different packaging would be difficult and costly. And, I cannot use media mail because it requires me to walk into the post office and stand in line. I'm too weak to do that.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: They way 3.4 oz. each.
Ok...I went to usps.com, I entered my zip code in both places (similar to your LA to LA). On the "Weight, Shape, Size" page, I entered 3.4oz and then I played with which type of item it was (letter, large envelope, package, large package (over 12")):

If I chose "package", the "First Class Package Service, Retail" price was $3.50.

If I chose "Large Envelope" and "Rigid", the "First Class Package Service, Retail" price was $3.50

If I chose "Large Envelope" and "None of the Following", the "First Class Package Service, Retail" price was $1.63.

Given your description, I think the "Large Envelope" is more accurate than choosing "Package" and then the question is which of the suboptions matches--"none of the following" or "rigid" (where the "rigid" description is "does not bend easily"). I'd probably err on the side of higher price and use "rigid" and since the "rigid" pricing matches the "Package" choice--$3.50--you would probably be good to go.

I think first link you posted is not applicable to your case at all as it appears to be for mass mailings. The PDF link has some useful info with definitions with sizing for things like "Large Envelopes" and "Package".

>>My caregiver comes tomorrow and maybe I'll just give him one of the packages so he can stand in line in the post office and ask them how much it costs to mail from Los Angeles to Los Angeles.

I think that's an excellent idea.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote