DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 02-04-2018, 07:10 AM   #51
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

But ... but .. but ... making fun of the weird ads here and on Facebook is half the fun of being on the internet. It's right up there with cat videos and stories about Nigerian spam.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #52
terrie
Staff

LO!!! Yeah...right...'-}}

I don't do FB either so I guess my life is one of sad underachievement as viewed by the cool people...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #53
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Do you not use an adblocker?
I don't block ads. I find them helpful. And I use, but I also notice it displays ads on the top of the results list based on my search term. Maybe the difference is it doesn't save my searches.

Quote:
this often leads to amazon where I look over the initial page and may investigate other item via amazon's "customers also shopped for" offerings which I will do an "open to new window". I save any urls (edited so that the url is only the item data rather than the item and referral data) in a CintaNotes note for this particular search so I can more easily go back later.
Good idea. I think I'll start using that Amazon feature more often. As for CintaNotes, does it support having records. In other words, I create a new blank record and copy information into it from more than one source. Then when I search I only have so search on one term in that record and everything else is right there.

Quote:
>>The pages flip quickly in the wind as we fade to black.>

An award winning scene...'-}}
:-)

Old 02-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #54
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: As for CintaNotes, does it support having records. In other words, I create a new blank record and copy information into it from more than one source. Then when I search I only have so search on one term in that record and everything else is right there.
I think so but I'm not sure if I'm understanding your needs correctly.

Basically, I think of CintaNotes as either a notebook full of an infinite number of blank pages or an infinite batch of index cards. What I was looking for was something to replace the WinCim filing cabinets and on the whole CintaNotes has worked well as a replacement. I chose it over something like EverNote because it didn't require getting online which EverNote did and it was free although I would have paid for notekeeping software. I'm still using the version I downloaded in 2012--1.71.

To give you an idea of how it works--pretty simple on the whole--I open CN and it displays a list of note titles. If I want to add a new note, I hit the Insert key on my keyboard which opens a new blank note. Generally I then hit ctrl-tab to set the cursor in the note's title bar where I type in a description of the note and then hit the tab key to get the cursor into the body of the note where I can type, copy/paste any sort of text in the note. There are quite a few options to tailor the software like display order (I have it set to most current/recently changed order), fonts (separate options for the Header and the text), Editor options, etc.

I try to create usefully descriptive note titles/headers--these display as a list when you open CN and as I noted, I have the sort order set so that the notes display in most current/recently added-changed--and I often use a sort of prefix (e.g. Win7) when multiple notes have info under the same umbrella. Searching is pretty straightforward as it's just a matter of typing in whatever keyword(s) you are looking for and CN then lists all the note title(s) with the keyword(s)--either in the note title or in the text body of the note. CN doesn't have any sort of master index--at least not that I'm aware of.

I use CintaNotes all the time, multiple times during the day and would be lost without it. I've added a couple of screenshots for you. The first is what you see when you open CintaNotes (I've blurred a couple of the note titles so the blur is not the norm...'-}}). The second shows the text within an actual note.

Let me know if you have other questions....

Later Edit: I was just looking at the 2nd screenshot and noticed the "Tags" and "Link" entries at the bottom. I've never used either. Not sure why but I've never found the need, although in thinking about it, I probably could have made "Tags" entries rather than using a prefix (e.g. Win7) in the note title. There is an option to make links live but I set it to off.

Terrie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CNscreenshot1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	2011   Click image for larger version

Name:	CNscreenshot2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	2012  

Last edited by terrie; 02-06-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: add info
Old 02-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #55
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
LO!!! Yeah...right...'-}}

I don't do FB either so I guess my life is one of sad underachievement as viewed by the cool people...'-}}

Terrie
FB is my only nod to 21st Century Internet Modernity. I don't tweet, blog, vlog, imgur, instagram, snapchat or any of that other stuff. I'm one of the lukewarm people, at best.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #56
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I'm one of the lukewarm people, at best.
LOL!!! '-}}

Terrie
Old 02-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #57
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: I don't block ads. I find them helpful.
One of the big problem I have with ads is that they can conceal malware and I don't think I've ever found ads on webpages helpful but I'm glad you do...'-}}

Terrie