DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 01-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #41
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I'll see if I can get anything with F7 when I'm in my BIOS which I will be shortly since I've just installed a clean Windows10FCU 64 bit to see how it works on my old system.

But that's another story!

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:47 AM   #42
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

And <lovely> again.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #43
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

This thread's gone totally into the weeds. Which is fine. But before I forget and before it turns into a food thread, I figured I'd toss this in:

Problem seems to be solved. Movies came back, apparently on their own, but Netflix and Amazon still kept locking up in mid-movie. First the picture would freeze, then the sound would stop too. I'd get a message about how things would get better when my connection improved. My 30-50mbps wireless connection? Hello?

Anyhow, on one forum or another, somebody suggested this, and it seems to have worked:

Go to Settings | General | Reset
Tap "Reset Network Settings"

(This means that you'll lose your login settings to any wifi networks the iPhone/iPad has stored for you, so be sure you know the magic words before erasing them).

After doing that, power the iThing down and restart it.

Netflix has behaved perfectly since; haven't tried Amazon but soon, I'm sure.

I haven't had a Netflix movie

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #44
terrie
Staff

So glad you got it sorted and we had an interesting discussion while you were trying to resolve the problem...'-}}

It sounds like the the age old query of "have you tried rebooting?" still holds true--and since it's a tablet, the other age old query of "is it plugged in" does not quite fit...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #45
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
So glad you got it sorted and we had an interesting discussion while you were trying to resolve the problem...'-}}

It sounds like the the age old query of "have you tried rebooting?" still holds true--and since it's a tablet, the other age old query of "is it plugged in" does not quite fit...'-}}

Terrie
True. And I was kinda afraid to re-install Windows.

Ah, and it seems that Amazon's streaming is working well too. I've been watching the new series based on Phillip K. Dick's stories. The first two are quite good; third one less so.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #46
terrie
Staff

I don't do any streaming and I'm really, really hoping that eventually the PKD stuff will be available on "regular" cable--Sundance has Transparent so there is some possibility. I would really like to see Man in the High Castle. They put out a book with the PKD stories for the most current seasaon (just starting I think?) and The Washington Post had a review which stated that they weren't his best stories but one or two were better--appears to mirror your experience.

I have a gift cert to thriftbooks.com burning a metaphorical hole in my digial pocket and one of the things I plan to order is whichever PKD collection has "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" which I don't think I've ever read--I remember being disappointed by The Man in the High Castle but I can't remember the specifics so I figured I'd get that one also...

Terrie
Old 01-20-2018, 07:54 AM   #47
Andrew B.
Staff

I overlooked this thread before, and perhaps you already solved it. But the first thing i would check is whether it's streaming in HD. If so, drop to SD. You check your Netflix account for this. The next thing I'd look at (assuming you are on WiFi) is how much are other activities pulling on your bandwidth.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #48
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

All good suggestions, Andrew, and all stuff I checked. Great minds, and all that. Or cracked ones? ;-)

When Spectrum took over TWC cable, they goosed the internet speed, then later, w/o saying anything about it, doubled it once again. While that doesn't directly apply to WiFi connections in the house, it certainly removes any bottlenecks at the internet connection end. Every time movies either failed or froze partway through, I'd check with Speedtest.net and get WiFi speed of 30mpbs and up.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 02-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #49
terrie
Staff

First...I really should go in and find all the BIOS/UEFI posts and pull them out into its own thread but, until I do get around to doing that...

Quote:
steve: Anyhow, I disabled Fast Startup and BAZINGA. Power up the PC with F2 held down and it jumps right into BIOS setup. Which still lacks the options you mention but at least I can get to where I can gaze wistfully at it more directly now. ;-)
There is an interesting thread over at dslreports in which someone offered what I think might be a useful tidbit on accessing BIOS/UEFI...to wit from dlsreports user "Camelot One":

"On computers with a uefi, you can open a command prompt as admin, then type:

Shutdown /r /t 0 /fw

It will usually give an error the first time, but run it a second time and it will reboot into the bios."

I've made a note of this for myself...hope it proves of value to someone else...'-}}

Terrie
Old 02-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #50
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I'll have to give that a go when I get a chance. Thanks!

www.pptools.com
and stuff