DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 10-04-2017, 11:38 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Samsung Galaxy S7 Blues

I got the Galaxy S7. I just don't seem to have the right touch. I can touch a key and nothing happens. Or I can touch, and it darkens to give me feedback that I touched it, but nothing happens. Finally, I touch it and it gets even darker than the time before, and then it works.

I was just practicing on the menu that gives a choice of screen tone, and one tone I touched 5 times and nothing happened. Then I will accidentally glance against a selection and it activates.

I need the features of a smart hone, but this isn't working. There must be some sort of way other people touch these things that I don't.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

My wife has the same problem, Andrew. I ran into something like it a while back when at a conference in Nevada. Couldn't get the phone do do anything until it occurred to me that it's dry there. Really really dry. So I licked my finger and voila!

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

In many ways the interface is easier, because I can just breeze down a list to find a contact. And it gives me something new to learn, so I don't get too bored. But today I tried to shut it down and it took me about 10 key presses to do it. Seems it likes my right hand better than my left hand. And I was trying to get the proximity sensor to work, which would allow me to shut off the screen simply by closing the cover of the case I bought. But I could not find any settings. And when I tried to enter the code to launch a diagnostic menu, nothing happened. I called tech support and the guy really searched all over the pace for an answer, and none to be found on his end, even though I've seen more than one youtube movie an a couple articles that discuss the feature and mentioned and the diagnostic tools. I wonder if Verizon disabled this.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:25 AM   #4
Bo Aakerstrom

I have an older Galaxy Note (no, it's not on fire), and suspect your phone will work the same way, so to shut it down all you need to do is to do a long press on the on button (when the phone is unlocked). Then a dialogue will appear - simply choose to switch it off and confirm.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

It's official. I'm returning the smartphone.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:38 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

In favor of a different phone or just ... done?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

I'm back on my previous phone, which is a flip phone with part of the hinge area broken off, and sometimes it pops out and is hanging by a wire. So I need to replace this with a different flip phone. I'm looking at two possibilities. One is a traditional flip phone but with bigger/better/more than my current one. The other is a new take on flip phones is about.

I also need to figure out a portable device I can get to do Uber and other things smart phone can do. Because I need that ability, but don't want my phone called dependent on something so inconvenient. I guess I could get a smart phone. Someone suggested getting an 8 inch tablet, which I could keep in my carry bag when I go out. Or,maybe a mini laptop with a keyboard. But considering the state of my flip-phone, I should replace that first.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:57 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Something like an iPad Mini with a wireless contract might work well. I've got an old mini and a minimal Verizon contract that costs me 20/mo (and lets me use the mini as a WiFi access point for my laptop).

While it doesn't let me make phone calls per se, I could theoretically make calls via Skype, but wouldn't really want to depend on that.

Have you tried other smartphones to see if they like your personal electricity better? ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Have you tried other smartphones to see if they like your personal electricity better? ;-)
Putting aside the lack of certainty that a key press would get a result, my other problem with the smartphone is it was too big and clunky.

Old 10-15-2017, 06:45 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I wonder if you could find a secondhand/reconditioned iPhone 5 or the like. The young 'uns hate 'em because they're not big enough to stick out of the rear pocket of your jeans and show the world what a cool phone you have.

www.pptools.com
and stuff