DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 08-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Remove Norton Internet Security

I had to send my new HP computer in for repair. So now I'm on my old Toshiba, and I used the recovery disks to do a factory reset on it. I also decided it's a good time to get rid of Norton Internet Security, and try something new. I see it in the control panel uninstall list. Is there anything else I should know.

BTW, I plan to replace it with Bitfender.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I'd use either RevoUninstaller or, if there is a Norton-written "complete uninstall" you might use that--some a/v companies offer uninstallers that are separate from the uninstaller within the a/v software itself.

As I'm sure you remember, my pref would be for RevoUninstaller and there is a free version--left side of the download link screen.

I don't know anything about BitDefender so can't advise you...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I would use and do recommend Revo if you really want a maximum clean since their Norton Uninstall leaves some flags eg to stop multiple use of free trial periods to avoid paying for it.

Run it at maximum level and ignore it when the stage 1 Norton Uninstaller says you have to Restart to finish the cleanup -- that screen may cover up the Revo screen saying to continue the deeper uninstalling.

What are you planning to use?

Any reason why you don't take the free upgrade to the current Norton Security since that works with Windows 10 and will continue to be supported.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: and ignore it when the stage 1 Norton Uninstaller says you have to Restart to finish the cleanup
Excellent!!! point!

I meant to mention that and forgot so thanks because it's a really important point for how Revo gets all the leftover bits and pieces...

>>What are you planning to use?

Andrew mentioned that he's looking at BitDefender...

Terrie
Old 09-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

This is not for Windows 10.

Everything with my new computer plans are messed up. I was supposed to send it into repair but there is a note about turning off the lojack and I don't know how to do it. Plus, the label on the return box appears to have a time limit on it. So I called tech support on Friday, navigated the automated voice prompts for people who call, and as soon as the on-hold music started, the system hung up on me. Several times throughout the day. From two different phones. And this felt like the final straw because I was already worn out because of all the hours (yes, hours) troubleshooting it with the previous tech over the phone, while lying in bed because I'm on an anti-cancer med that makes me so sick and weak this was almost unbearable.

So figured I might as well just return the computer for refund, and called the sales department (I got through to them) and made arrangements to return the computer for refund. Which has some complications that I won't explain now because it's too much typing. But i can do it because it's less than a month. But now that I'm calm I will probably call tech support again on Tuesday and see if I can get through.

All of the AV questions are regarding my old Windows 7 computer. And as far as Norton goes, I'm tired of it popping up ads on my computer for its other products. And other annoying things, like removing software from my computer without adequate notice to me. If they can flash an ad until.I have to manually dismiss it, they can flash a warning for just as long. But they don't. The only reason I've stayed with them this long is I'm lazy, and it's easier to just us what is supplied.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

The Norton reference to Window 10 was not exclusive but additional and designed to deal with differences.

The system requirements go from Vista to 10, XP no longer being supported which does not mean "does not work" but limited updates for XP.

Since you are running 7 and 10 now I just stressed that.

Which is not to say that you are alone in complaining about the things you mention. You are no alone including me from way back on not only sending stuff to quarantine and not telling you but also not giving a route to get it back.

But since I've not had problems due to this AND I've not had infections or malware (fingers crossed) then I can live with some irritations.

However there seem to be a whole new generation of annoyances with the latest upgrades to Norton Security so maybe you are right!

Hugh

Last edited by Hugh Wyn Griffith; 09-03-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: And other annoying things, like removing software from my computer without adequate notice to me.
Wow! That's more than an annoyance from my point of view! I can see why you want to remove it.

I'm not surprised that you had the problems you had getting through to support on Friday given that this is Labor Day weekend and I guess the sales department knows on which side of their bread is buttered so they were available...'-}}

Using RevoUninstaller on Win7 should be quite straightforward and, as Hugh noted, do not restart your system when the Norton uninstaller portion completes its work within RevoUninstaller so that Revo can then get all the leftovers...

Keep us posted...

Terrie
Old 09-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

In fairness to Norton, I really should add that their Forum team -- largely made up of actual managers of the groups working on Norton development and not dedicated support staff -- are very good at reacting to user complaints and are grateful when bugs are pointed out; quick to get them fixed. This is especially true of the unexpected side effects like deleting user software. I have seen them in action on this.

What many on the forums do not realize is that fixing a bug requires almost as much checking for side effects as a whole upgrade release.

What many users do not realize or do not accept is that the development team can only work within an overall plan needing to take into account elements like knowledge Microsoft shares about future changes and restrictions in Windows itself.

Often we know that they are just as frustrated as we are, especially since they use the product in their daily life!

Hugh
Old 09-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

I have not problem with the Norton forum support staff. In fact, I could tell some of them were frustrated with some design issues I am.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #10
Hugh Wyn Griffith

For most purposes the Free Revo Uninstaller is perfectly adequate.

People do need to know NOT to click on the You need to Restart your computer to complete the uninstall that comes up when Revo finishes it's Part 1 clean which uses the normal Windows Uninstaller and sometimes covers what you need of the Revo screen!

If you click on that Revo can't find its way back into uninstalling the application to do the deeper cleaning.

Just ignore that screen and continue with the Revo Uninstall options -- it's amazing how much does get left behind.

I've not run Revo Pro so I don't know if it avoids that trap but I do know it activates the Hunter Mode option which does enable you to track down things that don't trigger showing up in the list of things that are installed.

If you have experience of this it would be helpful to know.

Hugh