DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 07-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Are 14" laptops being phased out.

My general impression is that 14" laptops are being phased out by most makers. But searching does not lead me to articles about this.

Anyone here know?

Old 07-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

One problem is that you can find plenty of information with various search strings .... but no recent dates.

For example ....

Quote:
ZenBook Series
  • 12.5" 12.5 inch FHD anti-glare display with Windows Home/Pro, Intel® Core™ i5/i7, up to 16GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 620, 512 SSD storage, illuminated keyboard, finger print reader, and a weight of 2lbs.
  • 15.6" ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW. ...
  • 13.3" ASUS ZenBook UX303UA. ...
  • 13.3" ASUS ZenBook Flip S UX370UA. ...
  • 14.0"

Laptops | ASUS USA

No doubt that the trend is to bigger as screen resolution increases and as desktop PCs decrease in popularity.

I know that when I began to search for a convertible tablet/laptop for Dottie to use the tablet for therapy since her therapist used on (but an iPad and I was not leaving Windows!) ASUS made the T100 series with a 10 inch screen which was a little on the small side and just as I started narrowing out on choices ASUS brought out the T200's with an 11.6 in screen which was an ideal size for her use and for a portable laptop for travelling (which we don't do) or emergency evacuation which we have been spared here on the Gulf Coast of Florida. So I went for it although if I'd had the money I would have seriously considered the then new Surface Pro with a similar screen but a better detachable keyboard (at an extra cost ....).

But now the 11.6 has become 12.5 and so on.

As you say you can still see 14in laptops across the makers.

I think 12-13in is the largest for a really portable laptop not used for image processing and similar applications and 15 - 16 the smallest for a "workstation" especially when portability is more luggability

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Regarding screen size, my reaction when I first started looking for a laptop was that 13.x" seemed truly portable, 15.x seemed more suited for staying in one place and occasionally moving, and 14.x didn't fit either. I was going to get a 13x" but it went out of stock, so I got the 14" one. Now when I see a 13.x it seems too dinky to me.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:34 AM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Bigger is better ...

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: so I got the 14" one. Now when I see a 13.x it seems too dinky to me.
If you cast your mind way back, 14" screens were pretty much the standard for CRT's with anything larger being a real luxury--at least that's how I felt when I bought my first 17" one.

I stumbled across a few Windows 10 utilities that work with fonts and colors that I thought you (and other Win10 users) might find useful--see: "Windows 10 - Fonts & Colors Utilities".

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
If you cast your mind way back, 14" screens were pretty much the standard
I had forgotten about that. Yes, that's true. I also now remember my first monitor. Paper white screen with black text. This was also reversible with the push of a button. Everyone else in the IBM compatible world was using black screens with either green or amber text.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> If you cast your mind way back, 14" screens were pretty much the standard for CRT's with anything larger being a real luxury

Of course, nowadays, even smaller screens support 1024 by whatever, most higher. Back where we've cast our minds, 640x480 was hot stuff and 800x600 was what we made dreams of. At the time, my custom graphics system could go to 1024 x 768, but only if you limited the number of colors it could display. By changing jumpers on the video board! IIRC, this gem and the monitor it drove cost me in the neighborhood of US1985$ 2000.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Back where we've cast our minds, 640x480 was hot stuff and 800x600 was what we made dreams of.
Indeed...and...I'd actually not been thinking about the resolution on those old 14-inchers. I'm sure today's 14-inchers have a much higher res...

Terrie
Old 08-03-2017, 06:34 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I'm sure today's 14-inchers have a much higher res...

WAY higher. And (pardon if the old fart's told this story before, he probably has) at about the time we've cast our minds back to, I was working with an all-Mac graphic art shop to turn their designs into templates for HP to use with Lotus Freelance. Issues would come up because the designers couldn't view/test my work on their Macs, so HP sent them a PC and monitor; I guess the designers must have mentioned that they were used to using large monitors because HP sent them this 21 or 24" *monster*.

Which the computer's video board wouldn't run at anything over 640x480.

UglyUglyUgly

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: UglyUglyUgly
My eyes!!!! '-}}

Terrie