DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 07-31-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Windows 10 - Fonts & Colors Utilities

Hey Andrew...I just stumbled across these Win10 utilities that I thought you--and perhaps anyone else using Win10--might find useful.

Advanced System Font Changer:

"With the Advanced System Font Changer, the system settings for text rendering in Windows OS can be changed.

The software is designed to fill the gap created by Microsoft's decision to discontinue the option for setting the font sizes used by the system in Windows 10 Creator Update."

See also:

System Font Size Changer:

"System Font Size Changer is a text display repair tool. It enables to change the font sizes used by the system. The program was created as a consequence of the fact that Microsoft has removed this option in the Windows 10 Creators Update version.

It is a fundamental problem of Windows operating systems that the default font sizes used by the system are quite small when using a high resolution display setting, thus making reading difficult. In previous Windows versions there was a customization option for this."

And:

Classic Color Panel:

"Classic Color Panel is a utility software which is used for changing the color settings of the system-level display of Windows. The idea came up because Microsoft has strongly limited the Windows 10 options which allow to change the color of image elements (windows, buttons, controls etc.)."

Post back if/when you get a chance to look at them....

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

You're welcome...I hope they prove to be handy-dandy...'-}}

Terrie
Old 08-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

Windows 10 Start menu is basically a black interface with white fonts. And as such, it is just as bad as using a forum theme that's black with white font. I see there are ways to change things one brick at a time, but what would be very cool is one could simply pick and entire premade color scheme.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 08-21-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
Bo Aakerstrom

https://www.howtogeek.com/197836/8-w...10-start-menu/

About half ways down is the section about changing the theme. You can make your own or download other themes too.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

I looked into that. It allows very little control. And the custom color feature doesn't work right. I set the custom color slider to give me white, and when I applied the result it became bright orange. Also, the custom color interface is very crude. There is no place for me to enter a color value, such as HTML hex RGB or Windows RGB. To get the color I want I'll have to create a solid color graphic file and set it as wallpaper.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #7
Bo Aakerstrom

The only place you can enter an actual colour value is in high contrast mode.

And you can have white with black text, customise some colours, the drawback is the black borders between elements.

I prefer a darker colour scheme (charcoal and transparent) so hadn't noticed you couldn't set text colour to something dark.

It appears you can do what you want using the registry editor, but I'd be slightly wary of going down that route.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Windows 10 Start menu is basically a black interface with white fonts.
I'm not sure about this because it's Win10 but Classic Shell has options to tweak the Start Menu colors for Win7 so my guess is that they might have something like that for Win10...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 08-18-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I'm not sure about this because it's Win10 but I Classic Shell has options to tweak the Start Menu colors for Win7 so my guess is that they might have something like that for Win10
As it happens, I got tired of wrestling with the Windows 10 start menu/screen and I installed the trial version of Start10. I had previously tested Classic Shell and I was impressed by its versatility. But Start10 is easier to set up. And in my current state of health, I take the easiest route. In fact, I'm surprised I've gotten this far. I've had the new Windows 10 computer for almost two weeks, and I'm just now getting around to taking the time to set it up.

BTW, I am glad I was forced to get a touch screen. I'm having some difficulty using the mouse lately, and it's nice to have the touch method there for when my mouse hand is not working well.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
terrie
Staff

I've never looked at Start10 but have heard good things about so I'm glad you have something that allows you to tweak the start menu and, I'm glad you have the option of the touch screen...

Terrie