DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 07-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #11
groucho
Staff

Wait a minute. A 16-bit app, running on a 64 bit system?
Since MS ripped out the Thunker to ensure they wouldn't have any complaints about how 16-bit apps worked in the new OSes, that means you're hiding something up your sleeve.

Running, in a virtual OS of some sort?

As usual, there's a lot about what you can do in virtual OSes that MS pretends they've never said, although wearing long robes and hanging out with the priests can get you tales about that.

Adobe...Yeah, I'm afraid we'll have to refuel and make a detour on the way back. And make sure that if JohnC is working for them, we give him fair warning to call in sick on that day.
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:11 AM   #12
Barrie Greed

There's no need for anything up your sleeve.

16 bit installers will not work on 64 bit systems but if you have a running system on a 32 bit system simply copy the program directory from programs/program files create a new Folder called Programs in C:\ copy the program directory into it, double click the exe file and you should be up and running.

You may get a few complaints about registry entries but you should be able to ignore these.

I have an ancient CAD program called QuickCad running like this and it runs perfectly.

But of course you need to remember to do this before dispensing with the old 32 bit system.

Barrie Greed
Barrie Greed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #13
groucho
Staff

If I understand this you are saying that the problem is that a 16-bit "installer" won't run on the 64-bit OSes. Contrary to MS's statements that 16-bit programs require the "Thunker" code module to *run* on 64-bit systems.

Copying a folder into a new system, and having the program(s) in that folder run, is often the hallmark of DOS software, since the "rules" for NT generally require some installation into the registry, so the system knows how to work with an NT program. (Hastily phraed inaccurate generalization.)

I know, sometimes it works. I don't think it will work with PageBreaker.
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #14
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

What?Who?Me? I'm not running VP (hence the extra boxes thereof to spare for your aerial sortie). But people do. Virtual machines, XP mode, and if you google a bit, you can find instructions for installing .... but ... um ... you don't really want to do that so why bother, right?

VMs are kind of my lifeblood here. If I had to use real machines for everything, I couldn't afford the electric bills.

The Mudhut compound's in San Jose. JohnC is in Seattle; working for Adobe or not, I figure he's safe.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #15
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Some of these older proggies have been updated to 32-bit but relied on a 16-bit installer to get themselves moved in and settled. The fan got dirty when 16-bit EXE support was removed from Windows, even though the actual program would run ok if you could manage to install it somehow.

There are tools that will monitor the file system and registry during an install and record what's going on. Clever people have run and recorded installs on older systems, then used that info as the basis for a new 32/64 bit install that works on current systems.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-24-2017, 02:25 AM   #16
Barrie Greed

I suspect Steve's post is a more accurate account of the position than mine. It usually is. If so then PageMaker may not work in this way.

Barrie Greed
Barrie Greed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #17
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> It usually is.

I can find fault with that proposition. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff