DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 07-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Are iPhones weird

I've had bad luck with Apple gadgets. I had an iPod and its wheel navigation system was so bad I gave up on it. I have an iTunes account, and the interface keeps launching itself without me asking it to. Also, it's so "friendly" I find it difficult to use.

So now I'm wondering about the iPhone. I like the size. I just don't want to end up with another problem device.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

Well...I'm certainly not one with any experience but, all of my sister's (next door) phones have been from Apple and she's been pleased with them--she had been using a 4 (I think) and early last year went to one of the 6's.

With respect to iTunes...I'll bet if you checked AutoRuns "Scheduled Tasks" tab, you'll find an entry there--vs. the "Logon" tab since from what you've said, it doesn't sound like the launching is at bootup...

I have often found that a user interface described at "friendly" is just stupidly dumbly designed so I tend to avoid anything with that description...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
sky4forums

I had an iPhone 4 which I recently replaced with an iPhone 7 and like it. However, I will admit that I have been an Apple person from my first Mac back in 1986 so I may not have an objective view. I know my sister who just got a non-Apple smart phone has had just as many if not more questions/problems as I had when I got my first iPhone.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I know EXACTLY what you mean by "so friendly I can't use it". Some of their stuff reminds me of a huge Newfie. Friendly as all getout but knocks you down and slobbers all over you.

But I really do like the iPhone for the most part. Anything having to do with synching it to a Windows computer is a royal PITA (iTunes is horrible; until it decides to quit working entirely). There are other apps that provide some workarounds to iTunes though. And I suppose that synching via the cloud is easier in some ways. If you trust your data to the cloud; if it were just songs, I wouldn't much care, but not gonna go there with my Outlook data.

But if you don't need to use more than the phone's own apps, it's really a nice device. Quite pleased with it.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Kayza

You can probably do everything you want to with an iPhone without needing to use iTunes. Some people love apple phones, others prefer Android - or one version of android. But the current iPhone interface is totally and completely unrelated to the iPod classic that you had.

What do you want to use it for? What do the people who would help you with problems use?
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:26 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> You can probably do everything you want to with an iPhone without needing to use iTunes.

That will depend somewhat on whether you need to synch music, photos, calendar, contacts, notes and mail between a PC and the phone. If none of those are necessary, then iTunes is pretty much unnecessary as well. There other apps that let you do some, though not all of this stuff sans iTunes, though some of them require you to install iTunes to get a driver on the PC (after which you can ditch iTunes).

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:04 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

I guess size really doesn't matter. At least not with phones. I just looked at the Galaxy 7 and it's smaller than my check book. Which means I can carry it in my shirt or pants pocket. And it's only a tad larger than an iPhone 7.

In looking online at the two interfaces, I think I like the Apple a little better. But the Galaxy 7 has better hardware specs. Plus, I live more in an Android world than an Apple world. But we will see. I just have to make sure I don't take forever on this.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

What about the new Galaxy 8? I've read a little bit about it in The Washington Post and it sounded pretty good although I would suspect that the 7 would now be cheaper...

Oh wait!!!! I get confused with Samsung's nomenclature...which Samsung 7 device was withdrawn because it started fires???

Terrie
Old 09-30-2017, 08:26 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

A search tells me it's the Galaxy Note 7

Old 10-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: A search tells me it's the Galaxy Note 7
Ahhhh...thanks for checking...I think the keyword is "Note" so that the "Galaxy 7" you were looking at is a different device...

Terrie