DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 06-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Default Long-running script problems with IE11

Reading the posts here made me realize that here was a good place to ask, from the point of view of a user of the internet, not a web-designer or site owner, about the "long running script errors" that keep on cropping up on certain websites and about the "Adobe Flash Player needed" error stopping live webcams from loading when IE has the latest Flash Player listed in its add-ons.

The long running script error comes up on many sites and it occurs to me that it might be the consequence of using an ad-blocker (AdFender in my case) if it was stopping ads from loading.

The Flash Player block comes up particularly on Service Dog Project that is hosted by explore.org that I think uses Disqus (as does Paul Thurrott?)

The most I can get from over-qualified experts on CompuServe is "forget about IE" or "tell the website to update itself"

It is true that the Flash Player block does not seem to crop up with Firefox and while I don't mind using it, my wife finds even small changes in how to do what she did before a stumbling block and FF does present itself with a slightly different layout.

Me being me, I'd like to know just what does need updating, if that's the trigger, either with IE (which is out of everyone's hands) or with websites that have the problem. With Service Dog Project/Explore.org there's a good chance that someone will listen to me if there are specifics I can point to.

????????????

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I went to the site using both Edge and MSIE 11 on Win10 (Pro, 64-bit in case it matters). I was able to click the "Watch Us LIVE" link and view web cams in both.

Does "long running script errors" mean an issue that's been annoying people for a long time or a specific error that appears when scripts run for a long while? How do you go about provoking the error?

As far a Flash, if I go Tools | Manage Add-ons and beneath "Show" choose "All add-ons", I see "Shockwave Flash Object", enabled, 32- and 64-bit version 26.0.0.120, an ActiveX control, dated 3 June, 2017. The file itself is C:\Windows\System32\Macromedia\Flash\Flash.ocx. FWIW, this must be the first time I've even opened MSIE11 on this computer, since it asked me all the usual first-time user questions on startup.

Disabling the Flash Object didn't prevent me from viewing the videos though, at least not the one I mentioned above. On closer examination, it turns out to be an MP4, not a flash object.

Is there a video url you can point me to that demands Flash at your end?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Sorry not to get back sooner.

Quote:
Does "long running script errors" mean an issue that's been annoying people for a long time or a specific error that appears when scripts run for a long while? How do you go about provoking the error?
It just happens on some sites and I'm told but without the details I was hoping someone here in web design might amplify for me!

Quote:
Is there a video url you can point me to that demands Flash at your end?
Try this one:

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/...oor-puppy-room

which is a must have site anyway!

Thanks

Hugh
Old 07-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Just as I hit the site, somebody walked into the room where the two folks were opening mail and the three BIG dogs went barkballistic.

My hair's calmed down now.

IAC, I'd pointed the browsers at that site before and had no troubles viewing the cam videos.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-04-2017, 05:53 AM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Thanks for trying.

What I really would like to know is not so much whether one can reach the site but rather when you encounter the long running script error -- which is a known error message -- what sort of thing triggers it?

I've been told, as I think I said, "the site needs to fix itself" -- but what kind of fix is involved. I get the impression it's a problem with the site building itself on my screen a bit at a time but I'd like to know more.

I think I've also been told "they need to go to html5" ....

Apart from changing to Firefox, are there in fact things I can do on my machine?

I was hoping that people here who actually build websites could explain all this in language I can understand since I don't build websites.

Hugh
Old 07-04-2017, 07:46 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I didn't run into any errors but didn't watch the video feed for all that long; that goes back to my original question about whether "long running script" refers to something that occurs only after the script has run for a while ... iow, would I need to watch the videos for five minutes/an hour/??? or is that not relevant?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-04-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
that goes back to my original question about whether "long running script" refers to something that occurs only after the script has run for a while
I thought I'd answered that but it is something that pops up while the site is loading; puts up a white bar at the bottom of the screen saying words to the effect 'can't load because of long running script with Stop script Yes/No choice plus a [X] for the notice.

Windows often pops up a notice that it is trying to find the cause and fix it and never does but sometimes closes IE and reopens it open which it may complete.

But in the case of SDP this is all often such a long process and not always successful that one gives up or uses the Firefox > SDP shortcut.

I suspect part of the SDP problem may be that it is hosted on Explore.org along with all those other webcams you see the links to, and each link may take you to multiple cameras. The amount of data being processed must be enormous and while my PC is not getting all of them live I am getting the link still images plus live links for multiple SDP cams.....

Hugh
Old 07-04-2017, 11:21 AM   #8
terrie
Staff

I have gotten those script errors periodically and I've never been able to figure out what causes them although I suspect it's a site issue rather than a problem on my end. It's been a while since I've gotten one but if memory serves, the last one I experienced was on qvc.com when trying to order something and I've also gotten them at target.com but as I mentioned, it's been quite a while--I've not been to either site in a long time.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:16 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Windows often pops up a notice that it is trying to find the cause and fix it

There's no surer way to know that it's all gone toes up and there's no way out. Have you ever seen, or met someone who's seen, or even heard of someone who claims to know someone who's seen Windows actually FIX anything in this scenario?

IAC, perhaps it has something to do with the time of day/number of people hitting the server(s) at once. That might slow down delivery of all of those data streams to the point where MSIE gets impatient and decides to give up on it all.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
terrie
Staff

I don't think it's an IE-only problem as I've seen it in Firefox and when it happens in FF, I don't get any Windows' pop-up about fixing it although that may be because I have all of the Windows "solution" attempt options turned off...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote