DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 05-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default New ransomware problem info...

Having read about the latest ransomware crap going around the world and having completely blocked Microsoft from updating my Window 7/Pro/64bit systems, I was curious to see if Microsoft had a single patch available to address the problem...

Woody Leonhard to the rescue with an informative article with pertinent links for various Windows flavors--via catalog.update.microsoft.com which actually works using Firefox--for those of us who don't trust Microsoft not to slip in a little something extra. The article also has a link to what he thinks is a thorough discussion on the inner workings of the worm from the lovely people at Malwarebytes--I've not had a chance to look at the article yet so I'm not going to put the link in but the Woody's article has an active link.

I'm particularly grateful to Woody's article because the info I followed yesterday led me to download a Microsoft patch that while it may address the current problem, it's a roll-up security patch so who knows what exactly is in it--Microsoft certainly won't tell you.

I have applied the Windows 7/64bit patch (KB4012212, not kb3212646 I had downloaded yesterday) to my testbed laptop and the laptop didn't blow up. I did discover that I had to go into Services (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services) and change the Windows Update Service from "disabled" to "manual" before the patch I downloaded would install. Once the patch installs, a reboot is necessary and a Windows Update message displays telling you not to shut down your system as it does it's update thing on both shutdown and bootup. I also applied the patch to my desktop system and to my sister's laptop and remembered to change Windows Update Service back to "disabled" after the reboot completed on all systems...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I decided to go with the Jumbo version of the patch (full March 2017 rollup ... why does my brain keep wanting to call it "pullup"? No. Let's not go there.)

I didn't have to make any changes to Windows Update settings

Links to the various patches for various Win versions here, with obligatory MS mumbo-splanation:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ms17-010.aspx

I downloaded it, put it on a USB stick and took that from PC to PC. I had several to smack with it. And more to do yet when I get around to taming the VM versions.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I didn't have to make any changes to Windows Update settings
Did you have Windows Update Service set to "disabled"? I did--along with the Control Panel Windows Update option set to "Never"--but changing the Service setting from "disabled" to "manual" allowed the patch installation to go forward and I didn't have to mod the Control Panel Windows Update option.

The reason I didn't go with the Security (only) roll-up is that I'm concerned about the telemetry crap Microsoft might have added to what is supposed to have only security patches. There has been quite a bit of discussion over at dslreports.com forums--both the Security and the Microsoft forums--and there was one post in the Security forum you might find useful as it lists all the security-only roll-ups--you can read the full thread if you scroll up and click the thread name link. I've not been to the forum yet today so I'm not sure what all has been added since yesterday...

Terrie
Old 05-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I was surprised this morning when logging onto the internet website of our local TV station to see a ribbon on the Wannacry attack with a direct link to this article by Microsoft:

Security Guidance for Customers: WannaCrypt Cyber-attack, Patch, Microsoft Updates & Best Practices (WannaCry or .wncry Ransomware)

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...acry-or-wncry/

Extremely well laid out and written.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Microsoft has updated their info since I last read their writeup and this is much more extensive than I read late last week...

Terrie
Old 05-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Glad to hear that ....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Ah, the SERVICE. No. It wasn't disabled. I think some component or other of the service is what handles MSU files, which is how at least some (all?) of these individual update patches are distributed.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Thanks for that. I was amused by this: " Those who have Windows Update enabled are protected ..."

Assuming that Windows Update is working. I've had any number of occasions where it just stalls and has to be banged on with vigor and a large sledgehammer to get it moving again.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 05-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: I think some component or other of the service is what handles MSU files,
Yes...msu's need the Windows Update Service at least set to "manual" for the installation to proceed but the Windows Update option (via Control Panel) can be set to "never" and the msu will be able to do the install...

>> I was amused by this: " Those who have Windows Update enabled are protected ..."

Yes...I actually laughed out loud when I read that...'-}}

Terrie