DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 05-15-2017, 05:20 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Extract Zips in Multiple Folders (Win)

How does one extract zips in multiple folders? There are tutorials on the Internet that answer this question by telling people to move all the zips into one folder. Well, then, if you do that you are no longer extracting zips in multiple folders.

What I want to do is extract zips in multiple folders while they are in those multiple folders and also so the results remain in those multiple folders. For this I use ExtractNow. The latest version doesn't offer to install other software during setup, and so now I don't have to worry about my AV software attacking it. The one problem I have is it won't let me drag folders into the interface, even though it's supposed to do that. So I just navigate to the folder from within ExtractNow. This problem is covered on the site and has something to do with administrative rights.

http://www.extractnow.com

Old 05-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I don't understand the question.

When I unzip a zip'd file (I use 7-Zip by the way) if the zip'd file contains subfolders, then when it is unzipped those folders are there--as subfolders in whatever "master" folder I unzipped the zip'd file in.

I've never used drag and drop for either zipping or unzipping files--I copy/paste folders/files. It's been a long time since I've zipped something but what I do (using WinZip the last time I zipped anything) is to create a folder just for what I would be zipping and I would copy (what would be sub)-folder and individual files to this "master" folder and then zip that "master" folder.

When I unzip a zip'd file, 99 times out of 100, I will create a folder just for the zip'd file, copy the zip'd file to the new folder and unzip--or if downloading a zip'd file, I download to a subfolder in my master download folder and when I unzip, as I noted, I'll create a new folder (most likely a subfolder in what would be the current holding folder), copy the zip'd file to the new folder and then unzip.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Hmmm. I'll try to explain this better. I have 50 folders all in one tree. Each folder designates a category. And every folder contains between 1 and 100 zip files. So with ExtractNow I tell it where these folders are and it unzips all of them without dumping all the results into one folder.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Ahhh!!! That is pretty damned cool! I have NO idea if 7-Zip could do that.

With respect to the admin rights, a few questions:

1. Which O/S?

2. Are you an admin level user?

3. How is UAC set?

Terrie
Old 05-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

I assume I'm at admin level. I'd look into this further but I can't right now.

Quote:
Due to User Account Control (UAC), if you run ExtractNow with Administrative privilages, you will be unable to drag and drop from Explorer.

Drag and drop may also appear to stop working properly if you have the search for archives filter setup incorrect under Drag and Drop tab in the Settings dialog. Ensure that none of the masks that you have entered conflict with the file type you are trying to drop.

http://www.extractnow.com/usage.php#faq

Old 05-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

I have turned UAC off completely for admin-level users via:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policies > Local Polices > Security Options > User Account Control: change “Run all admins in admin approval mode” to “Disabled” (from “Enabled”) via right-click > Properties and then reboot...

Terrie
Old 05-18-2017, 04:42 AM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks. I'll give it a look.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
terrie
Staff

Hope that does the trick...

You can of course, turn off UAC via Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings and pull down the marker to the bottom ("Never Notify") but I like using the Local Security Policies because I usually create at least 1 extra admin level user on my system as a backup in case my primary gets farkled and using Local Security Policies effectively turns off UAC for any existing and future admin level user(s).

Terrie
Old 08-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

I finally hit the wall where I needed to make drag and drop work. I followed the first set of instructions you gave me and it works like a charm. So now it's unzipping a bunch of files and hogging resources so much that my typing here is sluggish. But so be it. It's getting the work done, so it deserves to be a hog.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #10
terrie
Staff

So glad that option is working for you! '-}}

Terrie